Boarding the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am looking at boarding my loft to get some more space up there as currently I have nothing just the insulation and boxes which fit between the beams.

I am looking at using these:

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/timber...L-1220-x-W-325-x-T-18mm-9276266?skuId=9285966

Is there anything I need to consider before throwing them down? I was thinking of using a staggered pattern as I have read in the reviews its stronger this way however I don't know. Plus I have read somewhere that someone did theirs and something to do with air flow and the insulation.
I am looking at just interlocking it but not screwing it down so if I need to get below it for something I can do this easily.

What are peoples thoughts? Do I need to consider anything before putting them down?

Thanks for any help received.

James

Sponsored Links
If you stagger they will be more difficult to lift.
Would be interested to know what you mean by ""and boxes which fit between the beams."" :?:

I don't understand what you mean more difficult to lift? I was planning on using some loft lifters to raise the floor by 175mm to aid air flow and not to disrupt the insulation.

I mean what's up there as in Xmas decks are balancing on the joists currently so once boarded I can use the space up there.

James

If you don't fix tongue and groove/ interlocking boards they can move so the joins can open so they won't have strength. I'd suggest at least putting some screws in, maybe one in each corner of each board. Remember if you need into the middle board for example, you need to start from an edge anyway.

Sponsored Links
I don't understand what you mean more difficult to lift? I was planning on using some loft lifters to raise the floor by 175mm to aid air flow and not to disrupt the insulation.

I mean what's up there as in Xmas decks are balancing on the joists currently so once boarded I can use the space up there.

James
You said you may want access if you stagger the board, access will be more difficult as you will have to lift the entire row if they overlap.
You only need a couple of screws per board to stop moving since it's only for storage.

Thanks for the replies. With the loftlegs they will need to be non staggered I think and then screwed down to the loft leg.

Can anyone see any issues with this?

Thanks

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back