Help needed with loft paneling and insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've just moved into a newly built bungalow and we have a mountain of boxes and other bits and pieces we just don't have enough storage space for in the house (or garage). The roof space though is considerable, so my plan was to put boarding down so we could move stuff into the roof space and also be able to walk around without balancing on beams. Amidst the chaos of unpacking and being surrounded by a multitude of boxes, I thought I'd try and make a start in the roof to give us some space. Unfortunately I didn't think it through as well as I perhaps should have done - I purchased a load of tongue and groove loft panels from B&Q. These:

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/timber...L-1220-x-W-325-x-T-18mm-9276266?skuId=9285966

It then became apparent that the existing loft insulation was too deep to lay the boards over without compressing it, and the likelihood of damaging the ceiling by putting too much pressure on it. There are two layers of glass wool insulation in the roof - the 1st running between the ceiling joists to a depth of approx 125mm, the 2nd running across them also approx 125mm.

So I've been wondering how to put these boards down properly and still maintain a good level of roof insulation. I first considered stilts, but the whole idea of those looks messy and I'm not convinced of their sturdiness. I then spoke with the site manager and he suggested taking up the existing insulation and placing it in areas of the roof where i don't intend to panel, effectively doubling the insulation in those areas, then putting down blocks of polystyrene insulation between the ceiling joists to the depth of the joist and then paneling over the top of that, his logic being that polystyrene provides greater insulation with less depth requirement than glass mineral wool. Trouble is I've been struggling to find polystyrene at the depth I require, plus it's so damn expensive!

The space I need to insulate between each joist is D:125mm W:565mm L:2600mm, and I expect there are approx 25 of these sections to cover.

Can any of the experts on here offer any advice on the best way to tackle this? Are there any alternatives I should be considering over and above what I've already mentioned? I'm not the world's best DIYer, but I figure I should be able to put down loft panels and still maintain a good level of insulation with a little expert advice :)

Thanks in advance for any guidance offered.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Airtec Double Insulation is about 10mm thick and claims to be equal to 55mm polystyrene:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/airtec-double-insulation-1-5-x-25m/50913

http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/p4761334.pdf

I imagine it can be laid directly over joists, with the original 125mm fibre insulation filling the joist spaces and under the T&GBoards. It would also act as a vapour barrier and offer a degree of insulation from noise, cushioning the boards if not over tightly screwed down. It is less of a fire hazard than polystyrene.

It also can be used stapled on the underside of roof rafters as a dust and particle barrier instead of (or behind) boarding, offering free air flow from eaves to roof apex, a reflective, light scattering surface for enhanced illumination, and a degree of draught protection and insulation for the loft contents from the extremes of summer and winter temperatures.

It is about 2/3 to less than 1/2 the price of 50mm polystyrene boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back