Bodge it or fine?? Open foul water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a bathroom fitted in the 3rd bed of a victorian terrace...!

Firstly (and don't call me out... I've paid the man....I know!!)

He is yet to return 3.5 weeks later to finish the job and I've noticed the following. Can anyone tell me if its wildly illegal or just not ok?

1. Stack pipe ends about 6 inches from window. I've told him twice I want it extended... he's reluctantly going to fix it.
2. More worryingly- I tested the waste water today (took a bath...) the bath and basin feed into soil pipe which is fine HOWEVER there's a drain for rainwater (combined system on 1890s house) which has an open plastic grate on....! I could smell the glorious tones of Sanctuary bath bubbles from outside whilst it drained and realised I could see the water through the open pipe for rainwater! I popped some paper down the new loo and sure enough, 3 seconds after a flush, there whizzes by the paper! He's left an open sewer 6 inches under ground?!?!?!

HELP!!!! Where do I go and what do I do?!?!

Sponsored Links
A lot of it is contravention of building regulations, so might be worth contacting your local council with your concerns. As for legality, it’s certainly bad practice, don’t need think any of it’s classed as illegal.

Sponsored Links
Building Act 1984 section 35,

"35 Penalty for contravening building regulations.
If a person contravenes any provision contained in building regulations, other than a provision designated in the regulations as one to which this section does not apply, he is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale and to a further fine not exceeding £50 for each day on which the default continues after he is convicted."

Building Act 1984 section 35,

"35 Penalty for contravening building regulations.
If a person contravenes any provision contained in building regulations, other than a provision designated in the regulations as one to which this section does not apply, he is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale and to a further fine not exceeding £50 for each day on which the default continues after he is convicted."

Wow, thanks, everyday a school day.

Back