Drain type Is it Foul or Rain water

11 Jul 2018
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I was wondering if someone can help identify this for me? (I know its going to be difficult with just pictures but thats all I have as the pipes are under the building). I have inherited this when I purchased this house.

Does it looks like foul or rain water drain? In one picture you can see there is a rodding point (black squre cover) which goes to foul drain. Does it mean this one is rain water?

The black pipe is from roof gutter while the gray one is from kitchen. (which makes it difficult to judge for me)

There are no mention of this drain opening in the architect drawings.

Edit: Its also in the rear- in garden.

Edit2 :

Just looked into the records for drainage and water search and it says following:
1. Surface Water sewer - Connected
2. Record indicate that surface water from property drain to public sewer

Does anyone knows what it mean?

Is it that surface water (rain water) goes into sewer (i.e. foul drain)?

The reason for post is that I need to know if I can drain garden's rainwater into drain shown in the picture.


View media item 105996View media item 105995
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Quite normal to drain rainwater into the sewer on existing homes, however my son in law's house has all rain to a soakaway and as a result he got a reduction on his water rates!(y)

If you have a manhole in the front you can buy a drain dye to put down the line you wish to trace.
If you pull the black insert out of the gully then get someone to flush the toilet you should be able to hear it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links