Land drains



Hi experts!

In heavy rain an area of my garden gets water logged. About 5 metres away is the under ground drainage system (it takes both surface water and foul).

I would like to run a length of land drain to this existing drain but do not know how to contact the two together.

Any ideas are much appreciated.
Sponsored Links



It can be done but why not just create a soak-away in corner of garden?

Note:Minimum soak away site distances
•10m (34ft) from a watercourse or ditch.
•50m (164ft) from water abstraction points.
•15m (50ft) from any building, and sufficiently distant from any other soak away, including roof water soak aways.
•2m (7ft) from a boundary.
•The soak away or drain field area should be downslope of any groundwater source.
•No water supply pipes or underground services should be within the soak away area.
•No access roads, driveways or paved areas should be within the soak away area. This includes fields with tractor and agricultural traffic.
•The water table or bedrock must not, at any time, be within 1.2m (4ft) of the bottom of the soak away trench.

To connect to original find what direction pipes are running then dig up 2ft away from manhole cover and uncover pipe then cut pipe approx 500mm - 1000mm out then attach a 'Equal junction 87.7' ( then just add length of new pipe into manhole and re-seal OR leave a bit of pipe going into manhole and use a pipe coupler. (

Hope this helps :D
Sponsored Links


Thanks gents - they are very interesting and useful postings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local