Garden Drainage

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently looking into having drainage installed for approx 100m squared of lawn.

The existing grass is to be removed and new turf will be required. The ground is built up on clay marsh land so drainage is poor.

I have had some quotes and some plan to drain into a soak away but one plans to drain into my drains at the back if the house. The drains are mixed sewage and rain water. Dose anyone see any problems with this method?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
one plans to drain into my drains at the back if the house. The drains are mixed sewage and rain water. Dose anyone see any problems with this method?
Its a great idea apart from it being illegal, especially when the water company charge you because the sewer's are blocked up with silt from your garden. Morality aside of course.

Thanks for the response.

I was told that the drainage pipes would be wrapped with a membrane to prevent silt entering.

i think its not allowed to draing rainwater into the sewage system.

A soak away would be a better option.

This is the way i shall be going for next years project.

Rob

Sponsored Links
A soakaway's no use in clay, unless you can dig down past the clay to rocks/shale beneath.

But connecting it the sewerage system is also "against the rules" if they find out! Where does your rainwater from rooves currently run off to?

The rainwater runs into the same drain and the sewerage. The drain serves both rain water and sewerage.

A soakaway can work if you put it at the lowest point - but do you have a lowest point? Is there any slope to the land at all? :?: :?: :?: The other thing to be aware off is that a drain (or ditch) drains the land below it. :eek: :eek: :eek: Odd but true.

The rainwater runs into the same drain and the sewerage. The drain serves both rain water and sewerage.

If that is true, as it is on older properties, then you can connect to it too, as you have no other choice.

If you do build a soakaway:
a) dont assume that its just a big hole filled with rubble
b) connect all your surface waste water to it and then tell your water authority so you can get a discount on your rates.

If that is true, as it is on older properties, then you can connect to it too, as you have no other choice.
Not lawfully without permission you can't. You can't simply decide to use the public drains to drain your garden because its a bit boggy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back