Land Drain - where can I drain it to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I have quite poor drainage around the house - clay soil, slope down towards house, and in periods of heavy rain the water can rise up to worrying levels at the front of the house (I think over the years the ground level has been raised up too much as well).

Almost impossible to get anyone out to give me a quote for regrading the driveway - must have made 10-15 calls with promised call outs and nobody ever comes. So before we get into the depths of winter i'm considering putting some land drains in to take away the water from the house. By land drain i'm referring to a trench, stone base, 80mm perforated pipe and stone on top (with landscape fabric in there too).

Question I have is where am I allowed to finish the drain? We have a combined system with rainwater and waste going into the sewer, can I exit the water into that without having to get BC approval or water board approval? Alternatively can I just drain it to a low point at the back of the garden (which backs onto a field) - appreciate this area may get a bit water logged but better that than the front door of the house. Have seen soakaways but does all that need plans and BC approval?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Good question - probably have to describe as rural with farm behind us and right of way to the farm running up the side of the house but equally close to a town (within mile or 2). I'm not sure to be honest how the council would define the area, probably within town but by no means built up (on outer edge of town just before you get into rural - endless fields)

My initial thoughts are on the side of the house where there is a ditch to install a French Drain. If no ditch than it will be a land drain and soakaway. Maybe the farmer will help.

Sponsored Links
Do building control have to get plans and sign off on the installation of a land drain/soakaway?

My initial thoughts are on the side of the house where there is a ditch to install a French Drain. If no ditch than it will be a land drain and soakaway. Maybe the farmer will help.

Are you allow to discharge to a ditch/water course in your area ?

Beware the Environment /Rivers authority agency may monitor the area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back