Land drain pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys hopefully just a quick question for you seasoned gardeners.
I have quite a small back lawn which drains really badly. I'm going to install a couple of runs of land drain pipe down the length and into a manhole.Having checked the net I see I should lay it surrounded by stone. Is the stone necessary or can I just backfill with soil.
Many thanks guys

Sponsored Links
If logistics allow I would start by digging a trench between the high ground and your lawn and from there to the drain. lay your pipe,back fill with stone with a permeable membrane to keep the soil out so it intercepts any runoff from above.Do you have any pics?
litl

Sponsored Links
Sorry no pics too thick to put them on here lol
Yes I understand allthe digging and wrapping etc but as the lawn is less than 4mX3m so was wondering if the gravel was necessary
Thanks for your help

If the soil is not free draining then its more difficult for the water to get to the pipe and there is more chance of the perforations in the pipe clogging without the stone. As you say,its not a large area so not much more effort to do it right?

litl

Yeah I guess your right. No point cutting corners for the sake of a few quid.
Thanks for your advice

The gravel is the most important bit. The gravel provides a free draining channel for water to filter down into and then its collected by the pipe. Without the gravel it is not a land-drain its just a buried pipe. Use large stone, ideally 40mm clean if you can get it. If not then 20mm will do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back