Bodged Boiler fan replacement

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for the long post
Following kind advice on here we had the boiler serviced expecting to have to have the fan replaced. They came serviced, said nowt wrong "Ideal Classic are noisy as they get oder", charged and left. Boiler still making grinding noise, but working so left it at that. Shortly after worse grinding noises and boiler stops.

Call them back and different guy turns up and says - surprise, surprise - the fans gone, will have to order a new one which might take two weeks. He ties to get it going in the mean time and appears to succeed, but about an hour later it dies again.

Missus gets a bee in her bonnet and suggests two weeks is too long so can they fix it earlier and suddenly it's only a couple of days.

But another fitter turned up and frankly didn't seem the full shilling, spent 1/2 hour on the phone to a mate then strated ripping teh boiler apart. Having fitted the fan and just about to leave he says there's a problem.

"There's two types of fan for this boiler and they have different length leads. This is the wrong one and I have had to stick in some lengthing leads for the minute. It works but they'll either have to come back out with a new pump, new leads or make some up with a special crimping tool which we don't carry. Ideal know about this but don't care"

Boiler is an Ideal Classic ff2100 and the fan he fitted had a part no 111947

Now my question is is this bull or has anybody else had this issue? And if it's real, how has it been resolved? And assuming that it's a standard cable crimper, how is this special and how has he bodged it together in the mean time - gaffer tape?

Sponsored Links
some of what he says is true, some classic fans had the elec conns on opposite sides and the wires dont always reach, never had to extend wires myself as I check the serial no and order the right one.
they should, in my opinion, replace the fan for the correct one asap.

There are actually 4 types of fan for the classic.

The most common have the connections both on the left, next common are the ones with connections both sides, then there are the fans for the slimline classics.

The rarest are the nf classics that only have 1 aps tube off them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. seems like the company didn't check the original fan properly before ordering a new one then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back