Bodges, scrimping and Friday afternoon jobs

1B75EA72-2CC4-4F0D-8811-255FC16ADA36.jpeg
A87079FB-4B41-4B6C-BB9B-61DFF9766543.jpeg

turned up in a van with the word ‘carpenter’ on the side:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Sponsored Links
Or a beaver...

Those screw heads look t0o big as well.
Must be one of those "carpenters" who uses a bucket of odd pre-used screws.
Seen a job where all hinges had different screws, and I mean not one screw was the same as the other.
I don't know how they managed that as a spare hinge left behind had chromed screws included :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
In doing various (smalish) jobs on the house, I've discovered a few 'funnies' presumably from when the house was constructed 72 years ago.

- Partition wall between bathroom and bedroom built with bricks on their sides
- Concrete fence post used as lintel
- Metal advertising board (circa 1940s) used as a fire/heat shield

Not DIY disasters, but things that make you wish you were then when implemented.

What bodges or mysteries has anybody else unearthed while undertaking works on their homes?
That puts the house as late 1940s/early 1950s - a time when building materials were on strict rationing (I believe it ended in 1954), so it's hardly surprising thast there was a make do and mend approach by some builders at the time.

As an aside there's a one or two places (generally toilet blocks) where we've had to put in the odd stud wall with the 3 x 2s "flat-on" (making a 2in thick wall) because someone boogered-up the measurements on the drawings, so the bricks edge on makes sense if you are desperate for space

When we moved into the current house I had to lift the attic floor so that the sprayer could treat the timbers (mortgage requirement as we'd found some minor woodworm damage, although there was no frass and the treatment guy reckoned it was all very old) - anyway, I found some old loose electrical cable under the floor. It was lead sheathed and the wires inside the sheething were wrapped in what looked like brown, waxed paper and hessian. Pulled the first three bits out, but when I grabbed the next bit it turned out to be live. Muscule reaction kicked in and I was knocked to the floor, putting one foot through the ceiling below whilst fortunately detaching myself from the errant cable (although the fuse blowing might also have helped). God alone knows why this was still connected to the mains, but I tracked down a 1920s Bakelite connector block beneath the floor and sorted that out before getting the whole lot ripped out and replaced. Once bitten, twice shy

That puts the house as late 1940s/early 1950s - a time when building materials were on strict rationing (I believe it ended in 1954), so it's hardly surprising thast there was a make do and mend approach by some builders at the time.

As an aside there's a one or two places (generally toilet blocks) where we've had to put in the odd stud wall with the 3 x 2s "flat-on" (making a 2in thick wall) because someone boogered-up the measurements on the drawings, so the bricks edge on makes sense if you are desperate for space

When we moved into the current house I had to lift the attic floor so that the sprayer could treat the timbers (mortgage requirement as we'd found some minor woodworm damage, although there was no frass and the treatment guy reckoned it was all very old) - anyway, I found some old loose electrical cable under the floor. It was lead sheathed and the wires inside the sheething were wrapped in what looked like brown, waxed paper and hessian. Pulled the first three bits out, but when I grabbed the next bit it turned out to be live. Muscule reaction kicked in and I was knocked to the floor, putting one foot through the ceiling below whilst fortunately detaching myself from the errant cable (although the fuse blowing might also have helped). God alone knows why this was still connected to the mains, but I tracked down a 1920s Bakelite connector block beneath the floor and sorted that out before getting the whole lot ripped out and replaced. Once bitten, twice shy

The houses were built straight after WW2, the first ones in 1945 and mine completing in the summer of 1947. I think the wall in question was done deliberately the more I think about it. There was no recorded shortage of bricks (LBC bricks) in my area at that time.

What a story on the old wire still being live after all that time! I found cotton-wrapped wire behind a wall in my front room which is still there.

Stripping my walls and prepping for a plaster skim coat, I’m finding when removing the cheap PVC cladding on the ingoes that the majority of the windows are held in with nothing but the external rough cast render, magic, thoughts and prayers.

Some of the other stuff is just as insane, the original wood chip walls had timber battens with a plasterboard finished with more wood chip… not too crazy except the battens were fired up in any old random pattern and seems to be whatever they had lying around.

The timber studs on the “new” stud wall they built at one time has a small 300mm length wall area… the stud on the left isn’t fixed at the bottom, the one on the right is in three separate lengths nailed to the stud on an adjoining wall.

The previous owners who had bought the property as a flip, found some old carpets from somewhere to put down… didn’t seem to have any carpet tacks on them, so they screwed it to the floor instead. Why not, eh?

Last edited:
The previous owners who had bought the property as a flip, found some old carpets from somewhere to put down… didn’t seem to have any carpet tacks on them, so they screwed out to the floor instead. Why not, eh?
Probably got the idea from our local handyman service, as advertised on BBC's Rogue Traders, messers Bodgit & Scarper

Probably got the idea from our local handyman service, as advertised on BBC's Rogue Traders, messers Bodgit & Scarper

The most annoying thing about the stuff they did is that it could have been done right and for not much more money at all… a lot of the stuff just seems like intentional taking the ****.

I plumbed in a gas fire in our first house. Was pretty pleased with it too - it worked. When we had central heating fitted the following year, they tested for leaks at the gas meter when they had finished. The gauge dropped like a stone. Turned out that me using dry compression fittings for a gas pipe that I’d threaded under the floor wasn’t a good idea. They charged me £40 extra to take the floor up and run a new pipe with proper soldered joints and they also did something with the bit of tin between the fire and the chimney.

Hold my hand up to a small bodge today. Was re-fixing a loo roll holder where the screws had worked loose. It is a Paramount with plasterboard plugs.

I don't know if the kids were swinging on it, but I took it off and decided with two of the fixings to replace them with collapsible anchors.

Well, burger me, but they somehow broke as I was tightening them up and wouldn't screw tight. So I dug around in my drawers of bits and pieces and found two very slim plugs.

Hammered them into the stricken anchors and they did the job splendidly!

IMG_20231004_141520_HDR.jpg

Hold my hand up to a small bodge today. Was re-fixing a loo roll holder where the screws had worked loose. It is a Paramount with plasterboard plugs.

I don't know if the kids were swinging on it, but I took it off and decided with two of the fixings to replace them with collapsible anchors.

Well, burger me, but they somehow broke as I was tightening them up and wouldn't screw tight. So I dug around in my drawers of bits and pieces and found two very slim plugs.

Hammered them into the stricken anchors and they did the job splendidly!

View attachment 315968
How were you tightening them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back