Bodging tradesmen!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been pulling down the ceiling covering in our utility ready for the arrival of some celotex to insulate it. Single story, lean-to extension.

In one corner is the boiler on the wall, it was fitted 10+ years ago by a corgi registered company, who everywhere else, apart from a few messy floorboards did a nice job, putting stuff just where we wanted.

Today I find that the flue that exits through the roof was in line with a rafter so they cut a section out of the rafter. Fine by me not many other options.

But why did they just cut the rafter and leave it hanging in mid air either side with out bothering to tie it into the rafters either side or otherwise strengthen the roof :eek: :evil: :rolleyes:

So one rafter is just being held up by the battening above and doing nothing to support the roof :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And whats even better is the builder that stripped the roof and put new membrane on earlier this year did not think it worth mentioning either :arrow:

Sponsored Links
would you have prefered them to rip down a perfectly good ceiling to achieve the SINGLE roof truss not being left hanging either side? the only way they could have put a brace in!!

as for the other tradesman he was asked to do a job not look for faults!

now that you have the ceiling out is the time to fit the brace, bolt the brace to the 2 ends of the original with 3 bolts either side.

They managed to cut the section of rafter out from outside (when they removed the tiles to fit the lead tile for the flue) without destroying the ceiling, which incidently was not perfectly good. It was just some old fibre board and could have come down had they asked.
If they had enough space to cut it they had enough space to brace it IMO rather than leave it doing nothing.

And yes the roofer was asked to fit membrane, but it would not have hurt to mention the rafter swaying in the breeze, I bet he would have if hed inadvertantly stood on it and fell through!

I have fixed it now but maintain that I should never have had to had either of them a little pride in their work.

Aye the plumber and roofer were equally stupid/lazy. Does'nt take many brain cells to at least mention these things, how they can be defended is beyond me.

Sponsored Links
They managed to cut the section of rafter out from outside (when they removed the tiles to fit the lead tile for the flue) without destroying the ceiling,

in that case then yes they could have braced the timber, sheer lazyness!

I have been restoring an old house and found lots of old bodges. My favourite was very similar to yours. The old lead soil pipe under the bathroom floor had once angled across the bathroom through a joist, meaning the floorboards were unsupported. The notch cut out of the 7" joist was 20" long and 5.5" deep! Given that the next joist was rotted due to a hole in the soil pipe, I'm amazed the loo didn't fall through.

At some time, the loo was moved and someone then fitted the soil pipe correctly between the joists, but left this enormous gap in the joist, even though the rest of it was sound so it was easy to add a very large strengthener.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back