boggy garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im currently going to add some drainage to my boggy garden.
Heres the story:
Bought the house from new and has been problem since new.
The garden has no soil at all......you try a dig down and it is absolutley full off bricks,cement wires in fact anything u can imagine, when u do find some soil it is clay.
Now i am in the process of digging a snake like trench around the garden, and i have 100mm perforated land drainpipe. I have broken into the manhole/inspection hatch in the garden and come off a spare inlet. On this i have put a "u bend" to which i will attatch the drainpipe to, snaked around my garden at a slight gradient. im going to backfill the trench with hardcore.
Will this work or am i pi**ing in the wind?
The trench is taking so long to dig its a nightmare.......if it aint gonna work I want to stop now!!!!
PLEASE HELP!!!!

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid this is the problem with new builds. Flippin' builders want to save a bit of money and chuck all the crap in the back garden and then add a thin layer of top soil and chuck on some turf!

I think they must do it for a laugh :evil:

Keep plodding away with the trench, it might be worth the effort. Difficult to tell without getting a look at the falls in the garden.

Good luck! ;)

It'll probably work keep digging. :) You need to surround the pipe with pea shingle before back filling. I'm just a bit curious, what's the u bend for :confused: Your land drain should go straight into the inspection chamber.

BTW. I take it that the inspection chamber is on a surface water drainage system. You wouldn't be connecting it to the foul water system without permission, would you?

its to stop any smell or methane getting back up and coming up through the soil.....are u saying i didnt need it??
Are well its in now!!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

of course im saying its a foul/drain manhole!!!!!!! am i bad???

But the way im feelin at mo..........**** it

please note 10a which is here

Sponsored Links
hotspot007 said:
its to stop any smell or methane getting back up and coming up through the soil.....are u saying i didnt need it??

I would take it out. It's quite likely to get blocked up since it won't be having the kind of flow that it's designed for. Sinks generate a lot more water flow than water seeping down through the ground, bringing with it more muck and dirt which won't get flushed out that often.

Any smell is more likely to come out of the inspection cover than the soil, think airflow and that it likes the simplest, quickest route. Anyway, surface water drains don't generate any smell, foul drains do and you need permission to connect to a foul drain if your area has seperate surface drains. Check with your water company.

I did this i had a concrete yard ,which i dug up ,underneath was clay ,so i dug down a foot ,dug out trenches and put pipes in,but i was lucky to have a gully drain that i could run the pipes into.Works a treat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back