Pumping dirty water from edge of patio : what pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

After some advice regarding a pump to pump water out of a gravel border/flooded garden border at the edge of my patio.

Basically my garden is extremely clay soil of which I have been mixing in a lot of garden grit and compost to open up the structure.

During a wet winter of during prolonged rainfall parts of my patio flood due to the run off from the garden and patio - currently there is plenty of standing water in the 8 inch gravel border which collects the water. I intend to dig out all the gravel deepen the trench and install a french drain. I have an area 10 metres to the right of the flooded area which can receive the excess water no problem.

What's the best pump to remove the water which is in the trench so I can work without sloshing about in water/mud.

Thought about a drill pump but as its dirty water it will get clogged up quickly and die. Submersible pumps are not an option due to the space in the trench and the fact there is no more than 4 inch of standing water at any point

Any advise on the best pump or best option would be appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hmm, how often do you expect to use this pump, will it stay insitu? A buried pipe to drain from one to the other under garavity is the convention - not an option here?

Not regularly..not in situ

Its only to get the excess water out of the ditch and flower bed area so I can work on digging the trench and laying the pipe etc for french drain. I just want to get rid of the standing water so I can work more easily - or should I just enjoy the mud and mess :)

'A buried pipe to drain from one to the other under A buried pipe to drain from one to the other under garavity is the convention - not an option here?

I thought a french drain was exactly this but I may be wrong,,,I intend to dig the trench deeper install a perforated plastic pipe...with the correct drop to my drainage area and let gravity perform the rest

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If this is going to be a one-off job then can't you just bail the water out with an old ice cream tub, mug, kid's bucket etc?

Awww guys don't I'll split my sides but you are right I don't own any of those but you have helped believe it or not :D

Whilst looking for the ice cream tub I found some old coffee filters and elastic bands

Covered the inlet hose with the filter , borrowed a drill pump and pumping Adams ale like a good un .. thanks for all posters comments

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back