Boiled water resin softener

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For many years I have been using an under sink filter to provide softened water for boiling to prevent limescale in kettles etc. Does anyone know what the resin granules are, as I would like to buy in bulk to reduce costs. Research indicates that they are called ion-exchange resin, but there appear to be several different types. Can anyone help with this identification.
TIA

Sponsored Links
For many years I have been using an under sink filter to provide softened water for boiling to prevent limescale in kettles etc. Does anyone know what the resin granules are, as I would like to buy in bulk to reduce costs. Research indicates that they are called ion-exchange resin, but there appear to be several different types. Can anyone help with this identification.
TIA

They're polyester resin with some sort of reactive coating. I don't know any more than that, but there are lots of different kinds. Just get water softener resin from a softener manufacturer. I'd forget buying in bulk, unless you want a pallet load from the manufacturers. They used to use sodium zeolyte, a mineral with a microscopic honeycomb crystalline structure.

Info here;
http://www.purolite.com/RelId/60634...tes_WaterSofteningBasics_9_20_07_JS BLEND.pdf

I think you should do some reading about this. Softened water is not the same as naturally soft water you'd get from rainwater or in areas with no chalk or limestone bedrock. In softened water, the calcium carbonates are changed into sodium carbonates. Calcium salts are beneficial, sodium salts are not; I wouldn't drink it. A filter won't remove dissolved solids.

The sodium salts are much more soluble in water and stay in solution, rather than precipitating when heated. You'd probably be better with an undersink reverse osmosis machine, which removes most of the dissolved solids.

Sponsored Links
TIA

They're polyester resin with some sort of reactive coating. I don't know any more than that, but there are lots of different kinds. Just get water softener resin from a softener manufacturer. I'd forget buying in bulk, unless you want a pallet load from the manufacturers. They used to use sodium zeolyte, a mineral with a microscopic honeycomb crystalline structure.

Info here;
http://www.purolite.com/RelId/60634...tes_WaterSofteningBasics_9_20_07_JS BLEND.pdf

I think you should do some reading about this. Softened water is not the same as naturally soft water you'd get from rainwater or in areas with no chalk or limestone bedrock. In softened water, the calcium carbonates are changed into sodium carbonates. Calcium salts are beneficial, sodium salts are not; I wouldn't drink it. A filter won't remove dissolved solids.

The sodium salts are much more soluble in water and stay in solution, rather than precipitating when heated. You'd probably be better with an undersink reverse osmosis machine, which removes most of the dissolved solids.

Yes I have done a fair bit of research on this, but am unable to find a definitive name for the type of granules I am after. Clearly it is possible to obtain them in smaller amounts than a pallet, as here : http://www.ionexchangeresins.co.uk/purolite-ion-exchange-resins/cat_3.html, but which one to get?

Yes I have done a fair bit of research on this, but am unable to find a definitive name for the type of granules I am after. Clearly it is possible to obtain them in smaller amounts than a pallet....

E-mail them and ask them; potable water looks likely. There'll be other stuff in the filter cartridge besides ion exchange resin.

You can buy resin retail by the litre or the sack from softener manufacturers, at retail prices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back