Disassembling (!!) water softeners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...diddly, diddly...I've never seen anything like it in my life!!!

Just got back from an emergency callout to a flooded kitchen caused by a water softener.

There was water and softener resin all over the floor, although fortunately by the time I arrived the water had been turned off. When I looked, the cause was obvious. The valve assembly on the top of the softener was completely separated from the 'pot', which of course released a LOT of water, at mains pressure. The plastic threads supposed to hold the thing together appeared to be OK but nevertheless it looked as if internal pressure has been enough to force the threaded assemblies apart.

The local water presssure is quite high (5.5 to 6.5 Bar) and there was no pressure reducing valve fitted upstream of the softener.

I think there will be an insurance claim but if I was the insurer my initial reaction would be a Meldrew: 'I don't BELIEVE it!'. Anyone come across this problem before?

Sponsored Links
wot make of water sofener mate?
ive installed probably 200 or more sofeners in the last 15 yrs & ive neva come across this problem
is there a by-pass on it?
:cool:

No makers label on the ouside - 'standard' mechanical Autotrol timer and valve, speckly light blue plastic casing, two square 'buckets' for salt blocks. No more information yet.

Standard plumbing arrangement - machine now disconnected and bypass open.

Sponsored Links
Cant say too much about water softeners cos I'm in a soft water area but I am curious as to what the pressure rating was on the softener :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back