Water softener low pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Permutit Metered Water softener (from B&Q) and it has been working fine for the last 3 years. Few months ago we let our property and 1 month after the tenants moved in they reported a unacceptable low water pressure if the water is going through the water softener and good pressure when they bypass it. My suspicion is that they have not added salt or they used a wrong type of salt which caused the problem. I called Permutit and the earliest they can dispatch an engineer is on the 10 September, 2007. In the meantime I would appreciate some advice on the matter as to what can really cause this problem because the water softener worked fine while we where living in the property and regularly added the recommended salt to it.

Thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
check the filters are clean. You had better inspect inside both ends of the flexible hoses.

check the service valves are operating freely and are both fully open

refill with salt and run it through a refresh cycle by manually turning the knob to start it off. The backflush will stir up the granules and filter bed in case they are clogged.

If it has not been kept full of salt you may need to do it twice (but this will be obvious because the water will not be soft).

The softener always reduces flow a bit as it has narrows tubes and introduces resistance in the cylinder.

Measure flow into a bucket and see how many litres per minute you get through the softener and through the bypass.

Are you trying to run a bath or shower without using a cold water storage tank?

JohnD said:
Are you trying to run a bath or shower without using a cold water storage tank?

First of all thank you very much for the useful advice.

We don't have water storage tank in the loft because we use an unvented cylinder and hence hot and cold water are on main pressure. I hope I understood your question correctly.

OK, yes. i use a permutit myself and notice that the flow is not very fast. However i have a loft tank so the bath fills at a tremendous speed.

Sponsored Links
JohnD,

I just realised you live in Hampshire and my house is in Basingstoke. What is the best way to contact you to discuss this offline and make an arrangement for an on site visit?

Thanks
Nedko

I don't mend these things :LOL: i just own one.

(sorry, two)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back