Boiler advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Moved house 6 moths ago and have been carrying out a major refurb. House had an old Ideal Mexico RS55 floor stander which worked fine so hadn't been planned to be changed, however, my builders fitted some new rads for me while I was on holiday, and forgot to switch off the power to the boiler, so it fired up when dry and cracked the cast iron heat exchange!

End result is that he has agreed to buy me a new boiler as the parts are no longer available for this model (happy to be corrected if that isn't the case).

It is a small 3 bedroomed cottage with a loft conversion and 6 new column rads in total, so I don't think I need anything to large.

I have been advised to go for a 24 or 30kw Vaillant - is this the way forward and do I need something of that size?

Cheers

Chris

Sponsored Links
There you go!

I have come across two people already this week who have fitted boilers more than twice the power required.

The correct approach is to appoint a competent CORGI to assess the heating requirement and calculate the boiler size required. Typical three bed semi about 10-11 kW and you add 2 kW for water heating.

Its less efficient to oversize the boiler.

Tony

Are you talking about swapping to a combi? If so go for the 31Kw.

If it is just a replacement for your old boiler then go for either the Ecotec Plus 418 (open vented boiler) or the Ecotec Plus 618 (System boiler)

Blimey dave

get out and get some work done, half the days is gone already you lazy wotsit

;)

Sponsored Links
Never start before 9am unless it is a breakdown call, then I go at 8 ;)

I dont normally go anywhere before 1100 hrs!

Tony

I have no intention of ripping it out and fitting a combi so was looking just for a direct replacement.

As my current boiler is floor standing, it would be easier to just replace it with another floor standing one.

What are people's thoughts on a new Ideal Mexico (I have seen a Potterton version but have heard bad things about Potterton).

Thanks again

Well I wouldn't fit an Ideal again. Just as bad as the potterton, and even more overpriced com pared to a wall mounted equivalent.

I only get a bottle of wine and am expected to put £10 into THEIR Christmas box!

Tony

I only get a bottle of wine and am expected to put £10 into THEIR Christmas box!

Tony

There may be a few reasons for that .......

1. Ya don't do much
2. Ya Grumpy
3. Ya not spoken to the right pplz
4. Ya whiter than the driven snow
5. Ya having us all on a Butty (***Most Likely***)

:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back