Boiler advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to move house shortly, and am viewing various properties. Among features I am looking at is the make and model of boiler installed, to try and get an idea of reliability and servicing costs in the future.

My current favourite house has this boiler installed in the garage [GALLERY=media, 93967][/GALLERY][img]

It is badged "Combi HE24" but I cannot see a manufacturer's name. Who makes this boiler please? Also, I notice that the flue at the top seems to be sealed with gaffer tape - I would like to get this corrected (by a local RGI) and would therefore like to know if flue parts are still available for this boiler.

These controls are mounted inside the house

Sponsored Links
Think your looking a bit deep worrying about what boiler is in the house

To replace a boiler is probably 1% of the cost if the house.

Pretty much any controls can be fitted anywhere what cables are there now is pretty irrelevant

The boiler in the picture is possibly a halstead looking at the front it looks familiar.
It is probably s rebadged version sold my a merchant or diy shed. The expansion vessel has obviously failed and had an external one fitted but other than that would be impossible to say anything else about it without being there.

I would recommend you use whichever RGI you use currently to service the boiler and giv you a report. Obviously that will need to be arranged with the current home owner.

I do them all the time. Standard boiler service and report any findings back.
It's quite common for people to want to know if there are likely to be any issues. But it shouldn't stop you from buying s house. If you like the house buy it, everything inside the 4 Walls can be changed to suit you

It seems to be a condensing heat only boiler. So it will be less than 10 years old. But its a budget model but probably still quite repairable.

Since it could be replaced for about £1500 then its totally irrelevant to your purchase of the house which must be over £300k so even if it did need replacing then its about 1/2% of the cost of the house and most would say irrelevant. Many spend more on carpets and curtains.

I next wonder just how old or new the hot water cylinder is!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thank you for replies so far. However, nobody has yet answered the main question - which is whether or not the gaffer-taped flue connection can be properly corrected.
Money is tight when moving house, and if my RGI, when servicing/inspecting the boiler - classed it as 'At Risk' or even 'Immediately Dangerous' I would then need to budget for a replacement boiler. Hence my question is whether or not flue parts for this boiler are still available.

The question arises as why the duct tape has been fitted.

Its always possible that some seal is missing or there is some other assembly fault with the flue.

Generally anything relating to the outer part is not really very serious although our instructions are to treat it just as seriously as a problem with the inner.

With budget boilers the spares availability after a number of years is not as good as with most main brands. But if anything is required then most parts are available for other makes and models.

I only looked at the first picture hence not seeing it was a combi. In that case the gas supply seems to be only 15 mm which would usually be undersized.

Tony

Tony get those glasses out, it reduces down near the gas valve ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back