Boiler advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my heating system is due an upgrade i think and i'm looking at having a combi boiler installed to replace my old heating system with the cold water tank in the loft and water cylinder in a cupboard. I want to do away with all that so any ideas on which boiler i should be looking at. My old system is currently running 2 x double rads and 6 single rads?

Also does anyone have an install diagram for me to look at to get an idea of how a combi system works as i was toying with the idea of installing the boiler and pipework etc myself (not the gas) depending on how difficult it is and then get a corgi plumber in for final gas connections. Im used to running pipework and cables etc but don't have much knowledge on boilers and their set ups. Apart from the gas connection is it a matter of running the mains water to the combi or is there more too it with valves etc?

Thanks for help and advice

Sponsored Links
Have a read of THIS
If you want to know how combi boilers work then look up or request the manufacturers instructions. Some MI's are harder to get hold of than others and should you be fancying a Baxi or Potterton then their MI's are at www.partsarena.com/baxi.
If you haven't grasped how the system works yet then it could well be that this is beyond your ability at least until you see a system being fitted or have thoroughly read up on it. Try looking up some plumbing books in the library.

I am also looking to install the water pipework and mount the boiler/ flue etc, and have been looking through old posts to try and find what is required from a legal point of view. As far as I could find from old posts, as long as you have the pipework installation passed by Building control you should then be able to get a Corgi engineer to connect the gas and commission the system.

Advice was also given stating that it is best to contact the Corgi fitter before starting the work and go through it with him first so he can offer advice, for a fee of course.

Can anyone tell me if this is still the current law regarding this?

Si.

ps. If any Corgi fitters are in my area (Bridgwater) and would be happy to share the installation as above (if this is still legal of course) then pm me.

If you have a "conventional" system with a nice hot water cylinder to keep clothes warm and a simple fill & expansion tank in the roof, why change to a complicated combi? If you are not in a soft water area you'll also need a water softener to prevent the combi's heat plate filling with limescale. Also oil combi's are a bit short on quantity of hot water. I would rather poke my eyes with a sharp stick than change from my conventional boiler to a combi. Mind you they keep me in work changing all the failed bits on them!!
Keep it simple. Simple = reliable & economical.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Changing from a system like yours (tanks and cylinder) to a combi is best left to someone who knows what they are doing.

There are people who will sign off work for you even if they don't install all of it but are unlikely to return when/ if there are problems later down the line.

I personally wouldn't 'sign off' anything partly installed by anyone as I will only guarantee work I do from start to finish, and should anything go wrong down the line on the pipework you installed I wouldn't want you ringing me up saying I should have spotted x,y or z when i was there so i have to come and fix it. :eek:

obviously people are trying to save money at the minute however fitting a boiler yourself or pipework or whatever is false economy and would advise against it.

Just letting you know I had a local plumber out today who was more than happy to go over what I wanted to do, and is going to test and flush my pipework (all of which will be exposed), and then fit all the gas pipework, Boiler, and commission it.

I don't really see how this is any different than a plumber fitting a new boiler to an old system, and having no history of who installed it, or how.

I could see how this would not be suitable for first time DIY'ers but I have 25 years experience of fitting pipework as a plant maintenance engineer, just don't have relevant gas and boiler experience.

Si.

"Just letting you know I had a local plumber out today who was more than happy to go over what I wanted to do, and is going to test and flush my pipework (all of which will be exposed), and then fit all the gas pipework, Boiler, and commission it."

Like i said you will always get someone who will. I wont.

"I don't really see how this is any different than a plumber fitting a new boiler to an old system, and having no history of who installed it, or how."

The difference is that the pipework is not new, therefore has been working fine since the system was originally installed.

"I could see how this would not be suitable for first time DIY'ers but I have 25 years experience of fitting pipework as a plant maintenance engineer, just don't have relevant gas and boiler experience."

I was replying the OP not you. As the OP states that he needs an install diagram says to me he is a DIY'er

you can talk about it til the cows come home, the entire boiler installation has to be done by a RGI, it is illegal to sign off a boiler that the RGI has not installed himself, both owner and cowboy plumber (corgi card or not) are open to prosecution.
you CAN do all the heating pipework yourself including the conversion from cylinder to combi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back