boilers and central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
just a quick querie regarding rules and regs,
are you required to be corgi reg to service and repair boilers and do you have to be gorgi reg to install central heating systems.. say would it be ok to instal all rads and pipework etc on a system then get a gorgi to fit boiler and gas supply...?

Sponsored Links
You can install the pipe work and rads. You can even run the gas pipe bit a Corgi man has to do the final gas connection into the gas pipwork of your property and commision the boiler.

cheers harrogate so is it ok to service and do general repairs on the boiler.? i take it you can do most things apart from isolate the gas supply.?

You can do a lot of things but anything which is connected to the gas or controls the gas in anyway you need to leave alone. I would say you cant really service a gas boiler if you ant Corgi registered. How are you going to take a gas pressure, gate rate the appliance, clean out the burnered and injectors??

I would get a Corgi man who can work on everything and do a full job.

Sponsored Links
In spite of what is said above you CANNOT run the gas pipe yourself. No correct CORGI would connect a gas supply which he had not fitted.

The CORGI must fit the wall bracket, flue and all the gas supply! You can cut the gas pipe, clean the ends but the CORGI must flux and solder it. He must also do the gas related part of the commissioning.

Tony

Agile is right you can only lay the gas yourself under the direct SUPERVISION of a CORGI reg person

YOu CAN run a gas pipe yourself but cannot make the make final connection. Geeky me has just read the regs.

Did you read the bit about andy pipe and or applaince conveying or utilizing gas must be fitted by a competent person??

PS here we go again :rolleyes:

Which reg is that, Harrogate?

Yet again, someone is inventing rules about who must do exactly what, there is no list!

Agile said:
No correct CORGI would connect a gas supply which he had not fitted.
SO Agile will ignore an existing gas pipe if he's swapping a boiler, and install a new pipe?
It seems to me that this is wrong advice.

Gas Regs (law) say nobody can do "work" on a gas appliance unless competent. "Work" is defined - includes everything.
Anybody "employed" to do work on a gas appliance has to be Corgi regd.
Landlords have to be corgi regd to work on their rented properties.

Pipes - when does a new run of installed pipe become a gas pipe?

Corgi themselves are unreliable. If you ask them about specifics they waffle, besides which they don't make the law.

In practice, it seems to me that it all comes down to who takes responsibility.

a very comprehensive answer Chris

I called CORGI this morning about this very thing

They say that if you come across a installation which you believe has been installed by a non competent person, the onus is on you (the RGI) to prove that the boiler has not been install as per regs (ie check flue, visible gas supply, location etc)

If you were to work on this appliance (and this covers the point you raised about swapping a boiler chris) then you are only responsible for the work YOU did and all VISIBLE gas supply pipework.

this is a great thread lads really enjoying it :)

The regs do stipulate that in order to 'work' on a 'gas fitting' you must be of a member of a class of persons at the time approved by the HSE (CORGI registered) however, there is an exemption which is a bit of a grey area. It is deemed ok to conduct gas work as long as it is not for moneytry gain. therefore, you can do anything you like in your own house. But if you begin to take money for working on somebody else's boiler servicing etc you will be in contravention of the regs and you could face a 5000 pond fine. Furthermore, if anything did go pear shaped you blew your house up etc you could face jail.

prof,plumb is absolutely correct. although it is not something we should be telling non-corgi registered people. I just usually say 'yes' you do have to be corgi registered. saves all the hassel Besides regs regarding where to and not to run gas pipe are not known by your ordinary DIY enthusiast and can easily be misinterpret.

steve1209 said:
...are you required to be corgi reg to service and repair boilers and do you have to be gorgi reg to install central heating systems.
This is easy peasy, and, as usual, everyone except for ChrisR has made a mountain out of a molehill and/or made misleading statements.

The law is clear; there are no "exemptions", nor are there any "grey areas". Monetry gain is not mentioned in the relevant statute.

Only persons who are employed for gas-related work must be CORGI registered. However, everyone, including CORGI engineers, must be competent when carrying out gas-related work. Hence, if you're not competent, you cannot, legally, do "anything you like in your own house".

steve1209 said:
...would it be ok to instal all rads and pipework etc on a system then get a gorgi {sic.} to fit boiler and gas supply...?
Subject to the CORGI engineer being willing, then yes.

Please be aware of the need to notify your LABC of the boiler installation. A CORGI engineer should do this for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back