Boiler and Cylinder location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've posted a while ago about having my boiler and thermal store replaced. I live in a 4 bed townhouse and the boiler (suprima 60) is in a kitchen cupboard and the boilermate (185L) in the airing cupboard on the top floor. There's 2 ensuites and a family bathroom.

One installer quoted for changing to a system boiler with a 210L unvented cylinder in the airing cupboard. When I asked how he'd get a gas supply there he said the existing flow (might've been return) pipe from boilermate to boiler could be converted to a gas pipe.

When my wife found out she'd be losing all her airing cupboard he said that the whole lot could be moved up into the loft.

I then had another quote, and that was for a 250/260L unvented cylinder in the airing cupboard and an open vent boiler in the kitchen. When I mentioned the possibility of moving the boiler and converting the current water pipe to a gas supply he freaked out and said you should not do that. He also felt a 260L cylinder would make more sense than a 210L, as he felt if we had friend stay and everyone used the shower it could run out of water.

I also suggested about having the cylinder in the loft and he said that was not recommended either. Apparently my loft has 4 inch joists, compared to nearer 7 inch for the floor joists. He said he wouldn't be happy putting a 260L cylinder in the loft.

So my questions are:...

Can/Should a current boiler flow/return pipe be converted to a gas supply pipe?

Would it be safe to install the cylinder in the loft?

What size cylinder would be recommended for my house? There's only me and my wife at the moment. But planning for the future and we occasionally have friends stay. If we go for a 210L in the airing cupboard there's still room to use it as an airing cupboard. If we go for a 250/260L cylinder then it's completely used up. I don't want to be in a situation where we could run out of hot water, but also don't want to oversize unnecessarily.

Any advice on this is much appreciated...

Many Thanks...

Sponsored Links
210 litre should be OK. If in doubt use a twin coil which will reheat quicker.

Using the flow pipe is possible, as long as it is cleaned out, tested and the presence of inappropriate fittings has been checked.

Of course it has to also be big enough to carry the required amount of gas to the appliance.

Putting the cylinder in the loft may still be an option if the weight can be supported adequately. How that is achieved can only be established with a visit.

My 4 bed house with 3 people using a lot of water get by perfectly on a 150 litre cylinder. It is set to reheat only between 16:30 and 00:00 but takes priority over the heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back