Your thoughts on boiler/cylinder location.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am having my old boiler moved and have removed the old airing cupboard to make the bathroom bigger.

I have a cupboard built into one of my bedrooms which would make an ideal airing cupboard - but as i understand the regulations, I am allowed to have a hot water cylinder in a bedroom, but not the boiler - Is that correct ?

If so, then i have the following options:
a) put the cylinder and the boiler in the cupboard in the bedroom - but block up the opening from the bedroom and knock an opening to this cupboard from the hallway/landing area.

b) put the cylinder in the bedroom cupboard - and have the boiler installed above it -in the loft.

Preferabbly, I would have the boiler in the loft but as it is so cold up there I was wondering how efficient this would be due to losing the heat that would normally be gained by having the boiler in the general living area.

Would it be better to try and get the boiler on the first floor , rather than in the loft?
I would ideally like to keep the space above the cylinder for airing cupboard for clothes/towels etc -so putting the boiler in the loft would be my first choice, but i dont want to do this if it is going to greatly reduce the warmth of the house.

(Also, I have already looked into getting an unvented boiler and cylinder in the loft, but it is too expensive for me to do)

All help/suggestions appreciated

Sponsored Links
Have you thought about a good quality Combi?

You can have a room sealed one in the bedroon (I believe) BUT they make a right racket and not nice to wake up to in the morning when your heating is set to come on. :(

I have considered a Combi but my house is a 4 bedroom house with 2 big bathrooms so i dont want a combi boiler due to not having enough water when one shower or bath is in use etc.

I will stand corrected if totally wrong here, why not have the boiler in the bathroom concealed in a new, smaller bathroom cabinet type housing or would that look ugly. I know the electrical zones will have to be observed and electrics sorted for bathrooms etc. :idea:

Sponsored Links
No problem at all with a room sealed boiler in a bedroom perfectly legal and safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back