Boiler and Hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please give guidence. My boiler seems to be working fine, the radiators are all working but one, which is constantly cold. I have taken the radiator off, and it looks like on the thermostatic valve side it is either blocked or the valve is faulty. However I have had the boiler on for 3 hours now, but there is no hot water, and it shows no sign of heating up. Its an old system, but has been flushed and inhibitor placed inside the system. I do have and feed & expansion tank. The radiator which is not working is upstairs, boiler upstairs. The bolier is firing okay. Thought I get as much info in as possible. Ant potential remedies on what it might be, and things that I can check.

Sponsored Links
If you take the radiator off and then try opening both valves, what happens?

Sponsored Links
EliteHeat said:
If you take the radiator off and then try opening both valves, what happens?

No water comes out of the TRV side, but water does come out of the other valve. However does this problem relate to where the hot water takes so long to heat up.

Sorry, misread problem. What sort of system is it? fully pumped, gravity?

Not totally Sure, but it has a header tank for the central heating, and a cold water storage tank in the loft, suplied by a hot water cylinder, and obviuosly circulated with a pump. The system in now 16 years old, and is supplied with a conventional bolier. Ideal Standard W2000. Think they call in vented/indirect system

I think there is only one, under the bathroom floor I am afraid to say. As this has now been modified from its existing design. Will be hard to get to.

It is important that you have access to the valve. But since you do not - what happens when you turn just the hot water on? does the boiler fire up and do the rads start to warm up without the heating being turned on?

Yes the bolier fires up no problems just on hot water selection, only some radiators become warm, and its those upstairs, the downstairs always remain cold. Practically been like that since they were installed some 15-16 years ago.

Sorry, should have asked this before - do you have fully independant control of heating and hot water? i.e. can you have the heating on WITHOUT the hot water on?

At the moment it sounds like the system water is finding it easier to go around the upstairs heating circuit as opposed to through the hot water cylinder coil, hence no hot water but CH on without calling for it.

Yes I can have independant heating botgh on hot water only or hot water and heating.

Thgought I may add, that the immersion heater can also be used independantly of the boiler. Basically I can switch the immersion tank on to supply hot water, if I dont want to use the boiler. That has what I have been doing this summer to supply my hot water, as I found by using the bolier, the upstairs radiators would come on making it slightly uncomfortably. However I frequently turn on the boiler to ensure the pump turned over, and theres no problem there.

OK, my money is on a defective motorised valve. It appears to be letting by to central heating and the 'B' port (to hot water) seems to be shut. The only reason that the boiler fires is because the motorised valves micro switch plays no part for HW initial firing. If the valve is stuck then even if the DHW reaches temperature it won't be able to motor back and turn off the boiler.

Whatever the access problems you will need to get at it to repair or replace it.

Must I replace the new motorised valve, or can I fit a new one in a more convenient location. Just that the floor have been tiled, so it means removing many of them with the board and floorboards. It was bad fitting management when the plumbers fitted and redesigned the new bathroom. I take it the radiator problem is just a new TRV fitted!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back