Boiler and wood stove central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have moved into a old house with wood stove and oil boiler (vented system) wood stove has back boiler with 4 ports. A water pump is on the return of both the boiler and stove, could it be that I have 2 pumps installed on the one central heating circuit? When the heating is on the stove does get warm so I’m thinking it’s one system.

Would the sink radiator always be a single separate radiator? Because when I’m on the wood stove alone more than 1 radiator seems to get warm.

Short of ripping all floorboards up I’m keen to know how this all fits together. I’ve given up trying to get a tradesman interested (before you ask!)

I’d like to get a combi but our water pressure and flow are low but may just get a tank/pump combined system instead of buying shower pumps (as well as not needing header tanks and cylinder)

Sponsored Links
Easy one first- the heatloss radiator should be as high as possible (ideally level with or above the hot water cylinder), both it and the cylinder should be plumbed so gravity circulation alone keeps the thermosyphon operating. It might be in a room, it might be in the eaves, it is there to manage an overheat situation but can be used as space heating if physics permits.
Yes the 2 heat sources will be running the same radiators- you really need a neutral point in the system (low loss header or a thermal store) for it to work properly.
Couple of things you need to check- have a look in the loft at the header tanks. They must be metal or GRP or something else that doesn't go floppy when it gets warm. Make sure your carbon monoxide alarms are working. Get the woodburner flue swept.
If you are keeping the woodburner back boiler you will always need header tanks and cylinder. If you want to keep the woodburner but not the back boiler you need to either remove the back boiler completely or disconnect all pipework at or near the back boiler and ensure all 4 ports of the back boiler are open to free air.
Not sure what you hope to achieve, combi boilers are not a magic cure for everything.
Pics would be useful.

Do you know the heat output to water of the WB.
Has the Hwc got twin coils or an equaliser and is there a mixing valve or anything else that prevents the the return water temperature to the WB being too low which can cause premature boiler failure.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back