Looking for help with multi fuel stove central heating, please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I moved in to a cottage a couple of years ago that has a gas boiler and a multi fuel stove connected to the central heating.
The stove also heats the hot water.
Ten minutes with the gas on and the radiators get very warm very quickly. But with the multi fuel stove blazing away for an hour and the radiators get barley warm.
The stove's system pump in the loft only starts after half an hour and its quite a while after that before the radiators start to warm up. The fire has to be going all day and quite fiercely for the radiators to get hot.
Underneath the stove is a copper pipe that comes out of the wall and goes back in to the wall with a screw type tap fitted to it.
A note from the previous owner stated that this was the "Drain Valve". This tap is closed.
I don't know if this drains the system and if it does, where it drains to, but I thought perhaps trying to bleed the system might help?
I also wondered if the system wasn't circulating properly with this tap closed.
Any help or advise on being able to get the stove heating working more efficiently would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You really need to know what output your multi fuel stove is in relation to your system.
Pump coming on after 30 minutes or so is probably correct system should have a low limit pipe stat on it to stop cold water being circulating through the boiler (back end protection)
May even have a high limit pipe stat as well.
The valve is probably just what it says it is clear pictures would be useful.

Thanks both for your replies. The pump is variable speed and has three settings, its set on three. Apologies, but not sure what a high and low limit pipes are. I'll take photos to try and make it clearer. Many thanks again for the replies

Sponsored Links
Most of the multifuel stoves only have a small output to water. Often only 3 or 4 kw so often not enough to run many rads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back