Boiler bang on fire up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a very old Glow worm floor mounted boiler and recently have had our gas supply/ meter moved to a new position due to an extension build.
Now when the boiler first fires up it ignites with no problem but the subsequent times it fires up with almost a small explosion like there’s too much gas or a delay in ignition.
Any thoughts ideas please, could it be dirt from the pipe change or pressure change in supply???
Thanks in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links
You need a GSR engineer to check that out. If the gas pipe to boiler is only 15mm and the new pipe run is longer than the old (or has more bends) then v good odds there's excessive pressure drop at the boiler.

I would have thought that the meter move and subsequent pipe sizing and re-run would have been done by grid and then a GSE who would have done the necessary calcs prior and tests after, to ensure safe operation of the installation and appliances.

So, what happened then?

Apologies, I’ve just found out that this problem on fire up has been occurring before there was any change to our gas supply.
The first time the boiler fires up in the morning is fine it’s just the subsequent times that it then had this micro explosion going on.
Thanks for any advice and I’m going to be contacting a GSE but I’m also curious myself and this forum is a great source of knowledge.

Sponsored Links
Essentially what is happening is there is larger amount of gas present when ignition of gas takes place. It can be due to number of things eg on boilers without pilot, the spark is delayed or intermittent. On boilers with pilot burner, gas issued from burner takes longer to reach the pilot- when it does, it ignites with a thump

Undersized gas line in extreme case would result in pilot outage when burner lights, else the burner size would be diminished, explosive ignition...??? I cannot see that happening

Thanks DP, it has a permanent pilot light.
Do you have an idea what would cause the gas to take longer to reach the pilot.

Thanks DP, it has a permanent pilot light.
Do you have an idea what would cause the gas to take longer to reach the pilot.

A number of things. You will need a gas Safe guy, not any gas safe, but one who does repairs and servicing and is proficient with it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back