Boiler banging loudly upon ignition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Something I am not sure is a problem tbh but as my neighbour commented to me today I think it is now worth the extra investigation. We live on a relatively new Barratt estate and have an Ideal ICOS boiler HE12 I think. All houses on the estate were fitted with these as far as I know. However ours does something I never hear any others do, and that is BANG!!!

Its when the boiler fires up as such. You can hear the ignite switch click and then BANG! You can hear the bang outside as it forces some gas out of the vent..well thats what I can smell anyway. I do seem to remember mentioning this to a boiler man previously and I am sure he said it is nothing to worry about. I havent, and its been doing it a couple of years atleast.

My wife did say she heard another houses boiler to it a few weeks back but like I said, I was talking to my neighbour outside when the bang happened...my neighbour was shocked and had never heard her boiler do it :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
It's gas related and one of the many common faults on that range of boilers. You will have to get a rgi in to fix it I'm afraid.

Its a fairly common fault with these boilers, get it fixed quickly as it can lead to serious problems with the boiler, its not a diy job.

Alan

Sponsored Links
getting the boiler serviced might be a good idea. this problem would be resolved during that task.

OP, how do you expect your boiler to work properly if its not serviced regularly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back