Boiler connecting to mains help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just wondering the best way to connect my central heating boiler to the electric mains.

At present it is plugged into an extension cable which runs across the landing to the 2nd bedroom.

Where the boiler is situated (in the place where a water heater was previously) there is a connection box with a switch on it, a cable comes out of this box and runs to the consumer unit but it is not connected nor does its look like it has been previously.

Can i take the plug off the boiler and connect it to the connection box, then connect the box to a mains circuit? if so which mains circuit?

Many thanks

Aidey

Sponsored Links
I would question which registered installer fitted a boiler like this!

The normal way to supply a boiler is from a switched fused spur situated close to the boiler.

Its also usually acceptable for the boiler to be supplied from an unswitched socket with a plug on the boiler lead.

It also works to use a switched socket but some people like to argue over a small part of the regulations that says the isolating switch should be two pole. Thats a bit extreme though as isolating a socket supplied boiler is by removing the plug! To me thats always safer although I still test for voltage at the boiler in case its being supplied from elsewhere.

Tony

Hi thanks for the reply

Any chance you (or anyone else) could put it into lamens terms for me?

Thanks

Change the 'connection switch' (probably a fcu or double pole switch) for a single unswitched socket and plug boiler in there.

Sponsored Links
the cables behind the connection plate?!? ..... An electrician would charge hardly anything for this 5minute job!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back