Central Heating wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need help, trying to wire my Y plan central heating in but having trouble with the Boiler wiring. Some time ago I had a new Boiler fitted and because they need to wire the pump Live they moved the programme box which was situated next to the Boiler up into the landing cupboard where the water cylinder is. Now, there are six wires coming out of the boiler, Live, and earth have been wired straight into a ring main along with a brown wire into the ring main live. Blue wire is just connected into a single block with no other wire's connected.
The other two wires (Grey & Black) have been connected into a wire leading up to the junction box in the landing cupboard. I guess one of those is the Switch live (Grey?) but don't know what the other wire is.
Any advice please

Sponsored Links
Why didn't the installer finish off the job - wire everything up and test it?

Has the Benchmark info been completed in the Installation Manual?

Is the connection to the ring main via a fused spur with a 3 amp fuse?

No idea what the spare wires are (colours are meaningless).

Tell us which make/model boiler you have and which terminals all the wires are connected to and we might be able to help.

Was a well known firm who do a lot of work for the local authority and yes to the benchmark and 3 amp fuse. Boiler is a Gloworm Flexicom 15hx

Sponsored Links
Was a well known firm who do a lot of work for the local authority
That's no guarantee of quality, just that they were the cheapest when the LA went out to tender.

yes to the benchmark
Don't know how they could answer 'yes' to all questions if the wiring had not been completed and the system commissioned.

Boiler is a Gloworm Flexicom 15hx
No we just need you to answer my question about the wiring.

Was a well known firm who do a lot of work for the local authority and yes to the benchmark and 3 amp fuse. Boiler is a Gloworm Flexicom 15hx

So in that case why did you not call them back to complete the job properly?

Tony

As mentioned before, the reason why they had to transfer the control box up to the landing cupboard was so they could wire the pump into a permanent life. They did the best they could with out running exposed wire through out the house.
Looking at the wiring,from the 3 amp fuse box a L,N,E go into a junction box and connects to the Boiler L,N,E. There is also a LNE going from this up to the Landing Cupboard. There is also a 3 core plus earth going from the junction box upto the landing cupboard. All of this is the original wiring from when the house was built. two wires from the Boiler are connected into the 3 core plus earth. I guess one of these is switch live.

The other two wires (Grey & Black) have been connected into a wire leading up to the junction box in the landing cupboard. I guess one of those is the Switch live (Grey?) but don't know what the other wire is.
Any advice please

or there is no switched live at all, and they are an elv switch pair
what is the make and model of boiler?
post pics of the wiring connections if you can

We love Pics :evil:

Matt

ah forget the first bit I've re-read the thread ........it's a flexicom

I think the boiler model was quoted near the beginning as:-

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back