Boiler Cuts Out; I've tried everything

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Classic Boiler. It keeps cutting out before CH gets hot. Only the upstairs heating works, virtually no heat downstairs. The piping to and from the boiler gets very hot which might explain why it cuts out all the time.

Gas board told me the return pipe from downstairs to pump was blocked and I would need a powerflush. I was not convinced the GBP600 would be well spent so did the following:

1, Replaced pump, checked 3-way valve and thermostat; both working fine and checked by Gas Board and another plumber

2, Had a Magna clean installed which I was advised would clean the system although it might take longer than a powerflush, would be better as a powerflush simply dislodges the flith and moves it around

3, Plumber replumbed rad in bathroom so it would run when CH was on as well as HW (the pipe to rad was fed from HW inlet pipe to tank after 3 way valve. This was changed to feed off main pipe before the 3 way valve so rad worked with CH and HW.

4, Removed all of the 7 radiators and cleaned them out with hose pipe. Lots of black sludge came out of them

5, Closed all radiators and ran the pump, opened run off tap and water flowed out pretty clear.

I assume the system is clean now and no blockages!?!

New Problem. NO HOT WATER and newly piped rad in bathroom stone cold. Took newly plumbed bathroom rad off and opened up pipes. Water spluttered out suggesting air lock. Water ran hot, clear and no apparent sign of air.

After all this boiler still cuts out all the time and pipes to and from it are hot but still hardly any CH. Is there an air lock somewhere?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Did you open the air vent near your cylinder?
Best to check the air thing before biting the bullet and doing the flowerpush

markspit said:
..................as a powerflush simply dislodges the flith and moves it around..........................

Not quite true. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks; I'll look for the air vent thingy...what could it look like? Currently I can get hot water if I run the boiler but no CH. All rads stone cold. Pipe up to 3-way valve hot but CH pipe from it cold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back