boiler cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im having boiler problems

we have an ideal minimiser se , started having problems with the burner , it will come on first thing in the morning then it will heat the water and the rads fine

However once it goes out it will not re light , the burner light comes on for a few seconds then goes off , repeats the process a few times then gives up completely however the boiler continues to run.

the property is rented so the landlady sent out her gas guy. Now im an electritian so i although i cant work on boilers i have a knowlage of how the electrical system would work , and this guy didnt , he was a muppet , a corgi registered muppet at that , he stared at it for a while , looked at the pcb and said it was the igniter that was at fault , that was a fortnight ago he still aint been back.

anyway the other day it leaked , so i did some research myself , it seems as its a condensing boiler the water created needs to run off theough a pipe , if this pipe become bloked then it will fill up and back up

as my boiler works fine first thing (after having all night to drain away then filling up again after the first cycle) do you think this could be the problem?

i know which pipe it is it goes into the wall the dissapears , ive tried digging around outside the house looking for a soakaway but cant find one so god knows where they put it.

im thinking of cutting the pipe off for now and putting a bucket under it , my wife is 7 months pregnant and although we can use the immersian heater i dont want to , and she is geting pi$$ed

what do you think , do i ring this muppet up and get him back? ive rung the local suppliers and they can get me an igniter next day , so feck knows what he's playing at

sorry for the rambling post

waht do yuo think??

cheers

darren

Sponsored Links
Have they brought it out of wall again and fed it into sink waste or soil stack?

...the condensate is the plastic one, not the copper one...

Sponsored Links
As you are a tenant you should pressurise the landlady to get it repaired. She will have to find someone who is competent. Otherwise you might be able to get the EHO involved.

I would not advise you to touch it yourself as she can claim that you caused damage to it ( as well as not being CORGI registered ).

Tony

yeah i contacted the landlady today and the gas guy , who is i assume competent as he's corgi registered. but to be honest he sounds a but wet to me , ive told him what i think the problem and is and bugger me he said he was thinking the same thing (LIAR!!!!) anyway i suggested he re route the condensate pipe by cutting it and going straight out the wall and into the drain , he said thats what he'd do (i should be getting bloody paid for this ;) )

anyway he's coming tomorrow :D

gas4you......... i cant find where it comes out of the wall there is a 1 foot wide gravel bed around the outside of the house ive dug under the outside wall behind the boiler but it dont come out there , nor round the back of the house at the other side of the boiler???

ChrisR...its the plastic one...really!! and theres me cutting the copper one....thought i could smell gas ;0) ;) ;0)

thanks for help all , looks like its gonna get sorted :D

ive turned out to a house rented to a sparky who think he knows everything about plumbing almost told me my job he did............na just kiddin, give the guy a break its hard enough for us green horns as it is.

Personally I'd still be having a flutter on the spark generator, if the condensate trap is blocked you will see it....it's transparent.

water/condensation in the gas valve can also cause this, particularly if it lights poorly in the first place.

gas4you said:
gas4you said:
Have they brought it out of wall again and fed it into sink waste or soil stack?

I meant internally :rolleyes:

lol oh right i see , no mate thats the first place i looked , i even took the bottom outta the kitchen unit to make sure

archie123 said:
the gas guy , who is i assume competent as he's corgi registered.

Unfortunately being CORGi registered only means that he has passed an assessment shoewing that he is safe to work with gas.

That does not mean that he has any diagnostic skills at all !

Tony

Agile said:
archie123 said:
the gas guy , who is i assume competent as he's corgi registered.

Unfortunately being CORGi registered only means that he has passed an assessment shoewing that he is safe to work with gas.

That does not mean that he has any diagnostic skills at all !

Tony

yes mate i know , i could tell that as soon as he took the front off , slid out the pc board and just stared at it for 5 minutes without doing anything , i was telling him what I thought he should be checking!!!!

then he went and said that he'd order an igniter as he'd worked on these before and that it was that that was at fault last time.........that was without even checking a thing , i even said to him , it works first thing , its omly when the boiler tries to strike up again it doesnt work , how can the igniter be at fault..........the mans a muppet

ive had a word with the landlady she has alot of houses in the area , i dont think he'll be doing much more for her tbh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back