Boiler does not fire up on demand - Follow up

Sponsored Links
I could dig out the technical drawings for the thing and quote part numbers if it would make the Pedants happy! :LOL:
Its a motorized valve with internal NO/NC contacts

Point is; the motor closes the circuit which energizes the boiler. Somert is likely amiss with that bit.

Sheesh.

Fair point, and I will probably do that, thanks.

get a multimeter. Trace the black wire where it goes. Open the box, you will see mass of cables. On second thought, get a pro in. Difficulty here is that plenty ‘heating engineers’ stumble on faulting Y plan.

With hot water off and heating off, pointer on the valve is at H
When you switch on the heating, does that pointer move to mid position

Sponsored Links
I'd agree on getting a pro in. There are better occasions to learn about 240V AC

I could dig out the technical drawings for the thing and quote part numbers if it would make the Pedants happy! :LOL:
Its a motorized valve with internal NO/NC contacts

Point is; the motor closes the circuit which energizes the boiler. Somert is likely amiss with that bit.

Sheesh.

Open forum, you can write what you like but knowledge of item in question over rides assumed operation. When did you encounter a reed switch that will switch 2 amp inductive load directly. You are unlikely to find such a reed switch

Open forum, you can write what you like but knowledge of item in question over rides assumed operation. When did you encounter a reed switch that will switch 2 amp inductive load directly. You are unlikely to find such a reed switch

I haven't.

Being specific, a reed (switch) is usually (?) magnetic isn't it?
But its a term of phrase and in this instance means nothing.

Obviously.

Reed switch is sometimes found in hot water flow switches or pedal switches, Level switches etc

If the valve is moving between all the correct positions as the controls call for then it is the valve microwswitches that are faulty, the actuator head just clicks off no need to drain anything, you just push the little black release button at the opposite side of the position indicator and it just pops of get a replacement, and get one of these,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363561488945?hash=item54a5f41231:g:qwUAAOSwkr1hVZwR

Turn the power off to the heating system and cut the existing wire and connect to one end and the new valve to the other end and plug them together and turn the power back on, pop the new actuator on , it just clicks on, and job done, the connector will save you going into the wiring centre which I wouldnt recommend you do

Cheers Ian, it's starting to make sense! I'll check out that link, thank you.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back