Boiler doesn't fire on heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Just finished fitting a bathroom at a customers house.

They have an old boiler, an Ideal W wall mouted with gravity hot water. The boiler fires up when the hot water is on, but doesn't fire when the heating only is put on, and the rads get hot when hot water only is on.

Any ideas why?

Sponsored Links
Broken/jammed 3 port valve, heating controls broken......was the system fully working before you started working?? Did you check?? Just i have been caught out trying to fix problems i percieved were of my making only to find the customer 'knew' the system was duff before i worked on something unrelated......

I did check it before doing any work, and the customer knew it wasn't working correctly.

There is no 3 port valve, the hot water is gravity, there's just a pump on the heating circuit.

Sponsored Links
Heating wont work on its own if its gravity hw.

HW can be run on its own, heating can only be run with HW on. Sounds like its working as it should.

Heating wont work on its own if its gravity hw.

HW can be run on its own, heating can only be run with HW on. Sounds like its working as it should.

this is what info where trying to get as the post don't make any sence

The programmer has a heating and a separate hot water switch. The rads get hot when hot water only is on.

if you can switch heating on on its own its the wrong programmer for a hw gravity system.

you sure hw / heating are not both running off the hw on the programmer and the wall stat is controling the pump.
so the heating switch on programmer is not wired up

Sounds as if it has been wired up incorrectly to me.

It's not unusual for rads to get warm when HW only is selected on a gravity system, especially upstairs ones. This is probably because the system does not have a anti-gravity valve (single check valve) fitted in the rad flow pipe.

Thanks for all the advice.

You're right Dave there is no anti gravity valve fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back