Bolier doesn't always fire up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a problem with my combi boiler I think.

When the heating is switched on the boiler doesn't fire every time. It also doesn't fire everytime after hot water is used.

With a demand only for hot water the boiler fires up every time.

Is this going to be something simple or do I have to dig deeper and provide some more info?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Possibly something to do with the water valve/ microswitch assy. Best bet is to get someone in as these boilers are a bit beyond a DIY job.

check the diverter is making the microswitches when the pump starts up. Its a hydraulic problem. Could get around it by adjusting the rods that activate the switches on the DV, but that may just be hiding an underlying problem with the pump pressure. tbh you might end up needing someone who knows these boilers fairly well.

How "quite handy" are you?
What do you know about your boiler (other than how to use it)?

Well I don't take them apart every day obviously. I have a rough knowledge of how the boiler works. I have the repair manual here, which I can flick through if needed.

I am a tradesman, have been for 18 years, not gas, but you do pick things up along the way. In my spare time I've rebuilt a couple of engines.

I should be able to handle my boiler, what do you reckon?

I've got to go to work soon, but will try to help first.
I will not help with anything gas related, so if it gets that far it's RDI time.
Remove the lower front panel, looks like there's only one screw, to the left of thermostat knob.

Front and side removed.

Looks like its had a small leak in the past, no leaking now though.
Image0129.jpg

Also have just noticed that the temperature gauge is missing.
Image0130.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back