Boiler doesn't fire up due to low Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I'd share this information as it might help someone expereincing a similar problem.

We program our central heating to shutdown overnight.

During the recent cold spell, we cranked up the thermostat to keep warmer. We started experiencing problems where the boiler would not start up in the morning because the pressure was low. We had the engineer out several times. He replaced the Pressure Relief Valve. This did not fix the problem. On his last visit he was talking about replacing the boiler.

We have the boiler programmed to shutdown at 22.50. Right up to that time, the boiler is going flat out to keep the heat up. At 22.50, the whole system shuts down immediately, both the burners and the circulating pump. As the boiler has been working so hard right up to that point, its internal elements are very hot. As the pump is no longer circulating water through the boiler, the water in the boiler boils and the pressure relief valve releases water and steam from the system. So in the morning the pressure is too low for the boiler to fire.

Anyways I am circumventing the problem by manually turning the thermostat down 5 minutes before the system shutdown time and this has cured the boiler startup problem. Now the cold weathers gone, we probably wont need the heating up so high anyway.

The boiler manufacturer (IDEAL) says the boiler is working OK. The boiler controls are not their responsibility. I haven't been able to identify the manufacturer of the controls. The control system should definitely ought to keep the pump going for at least 5 minutes after the boiler shutdown.

Sponsored Links
Hmm strange one, you could put a pipe stat on the flow pipe going away from the boiler which would run the pump until the pipes cooled down. Don't ask how its wired, I haven't done it for ages!

Most boilers have a pump over run to continue circulating water after the end time. This allows the system to cool and prevent damage to the system. It's part of the PCB.

Sponsored Links
Yeh as far as im aware it's only ideal and some baxi's that don't have pump overrun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back