boiler dropping pressure on a brand new ch plumbing system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
My 10yrs old Valiant boiler drops pressure especially when not used, from roughly 1.2 to .7 in about a week, enough for the boiler to shut down. All the plumbing and rads are brand new. The new system was not tested with the boiler functioning because there was no electrical supply at that time to power the boiler (complete flat make over) but the plumber tested the plumbing systems for leaks with a pressure pump overnights. Under inspections, no rads/valves leaks. Unfortunately, all plumbing runs under the new floor and I'm on ground floor so no one below to report ceiling water damage. One thing to add is that the problem seems to get worse. When I moved into the new flat I notified the builder of the problem and he said the system needed balanced and asked me to keep the boiler running for several running days. Initially it seemed sorted; however the problem appeared again after few months. It seems actually worse. There is no visible water loss in the boiler cupboard. What would you suggest I do to start troubleshooting the problem? Can it really be the boiler? it didn't have a pressure loss prior the refurb. Would you use a sealant first thing and if yes what type? What other questions would you ask?
Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use a sealant, much better to find the source of the leak.

Bring the system up to pressure last thing at night and then isolate the boiler flow and return valves and turn it off, check the pressure in the morn. If it's lost pressure then it's the boiler, if it stayed the same and then drops when you open the valves back up then the system has a leak. Best place to start is rule out the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Bring the system up to pressure last thing at night and then isolate the boiler flow and return valves and turn it off, check the pressure in the morn. If it's lost pressure then it's the boiler, if it stayed the same and then drops when you open the valves back up then the system has a leak. Best place to start is rule out the boiler.

101 procedure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back