Boiler error and noise

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a greenstar 28cdi compact that is almost 8 years old and on Friday it threw an error 227.

I've had that error before when the condensate drain has been blocked so checked the whole run and couldn't find an issue.

I turned it off a few times and eventually I heard a kind of popping noise and it fired up and has been working fine ever since.

I'm trying to get my normal plumber out to look at it hopefully this week. Does anyone know what the issue is likely to be, should I be preparing myself to have to buy a new one?

Sponsored Links
I've got a greenstar 28cdi compact that is almost 8 years old and on Friday it threw an error 227.

That is a failure to ignite error - the pilot simply failed to ignite quick enough, so the boiler went to lockout.

I've had that error before when the condensate drain has been blocked so checked the whole run and couldn't find an issue.

It needs to be investigated, why it was blocked - was it freezing at the time outside?

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
That is a failure to ignite error - the pilot simply failed to ignite quick enough, so the boiler went to lockout.

It needs to be investigated, why it was blocked - was it freezing at the time outside?

Our condensate pipe goes through the wall and in to a drain outside. Sometimes this drain collects lots of leaves which pile up and block it. There was nothing in it on Friday though.

It was a bit windy and about 4 degrees when it all went out.

Sponsored Links
It doesnt have a pilot light, the condensate is blocked, Worcester MIs state that your condensate must have an air break, that is your problem

There is an air break where the condensate pipe goes in to the drain, it terminates a couple of inches above the drain grate and only blocks when the drain fills with leaves. There was nothing blocking it on Friday though.

There is an air break where the condensate pipe goes in to the drain, it terminates a couple of inches above the drain grate and only blocks when the drain fills with leaves. There was nothing blocking it on Friday though.

Might it have been frozen on Friday? The simple fix for leaves getting in and blocking a gulley, is to buy and cut a cheap plastic cover to fit closely around the pipes. It used to be a regular problem here, with the number of trees - completely by adding covers, with the lighter plastic ones prevented from blowing away by adding a brick on top.

• Thanks
Might it have been frozen on Friday? The simple fix for leaves getting in and blocking a gulley, is to buy and cut a cheap plastic cover to fit closely around the pipes. It used to be a regular problem here, with the number of trees - completely by adding covers, with the lighter plastic ones prevented from blowing away by adding a brick on top.

I don't think it was quite cold enough and there wasn't anything in the pipe when I checked.

Unfortunately the drain has pretty much everything running in to it - from the left there is a pipe from the bath and one from the sink, from above the gutter downpipe (which has the bath, shower and sink upstairs in it) and the condensate pipe and from the right the kitchen waste. I've been meaning to try and find a solution after I attempted to cut a plastic one and was left with very little cover left!

I've been meaning to try and find a solution after I attempted to cut a plastic one and was left with very little cover left!

I have three, the ready made plastic one, where I could fit one in - then one I custom cut from a sheet of perspex, the last one some waterproof ply. These I built a concrete dam around, on which to sit the home made covers. I just check all three are clear and clean each summer, in case.

• Thanks
what diameter is the condensate pipe passing through the wall

It's a small white plastic pipe, doesn't look much bigger than 15mm. It runs straight out the wall and turns 90 degrees to the drain and is lagged.

It's a small white plastic pipe, doesn't look much bigger than 15mm. It runs straight out the wall and turns 90 degrees to the drain and is lagged.
Thought so, updated regs dont allow that because it is very prone to freezing, latest regs say 32mm through wall min and same with all external runs, must be insulated through the wall and complete external runs, the choice of insulation is important too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back