Boiler extinguishes after a few seconds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello from a cold house :(
My back boiler is playing up and i really hope you can help - a new boiler would be an unwelcome purchase.
It's a Glowworm Majorca 3 - It lights ok, but goes out after only a few seconds, any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It will be a dirty pilot and needs servicing . majorca 3 good age now i took mine out in 84 does the noise not drive you nuts. we used to say no need for an alarm clock just have heating set to come on :LOL:

:oops:
well...... i've been here nearly 4 yrs, and not serviced it yet :oops:

point taken, i wouldn't leave the car that long. we're doing the place up and there is always something that needs money spending on it.
It is a noisy beast - but i'm scared of the replacement cost, we're only staying for another year ;)

thanks very much

Sponsored Links
:oops:
well...... i've been here nearly 4 yrs, and not serviced it yet :oops:

point taken, i wouldn't leave the car that long. we're doing the place up and there is always something that needs money spending on it.
It is a noisy beast - but i'm scared of the replacement cost, we're only staying for another year ;)

thanks very much

Your unserviced car is unlikely to kill you.

An unserviced BBU easily could!!!

All BBUs need servicing every year!!!

Tony

The unserviced boiler has not killed him... perhaps he is just lucky

It still should be serviced every year as per MI, as car makers state as well, either a milage or every 12 months. It always amazes me how people think like this. They have their car serviced and MOT'd anually even if they only use it for a few hours a week, but expect a boiler to work for 8 hours a day without any routine maintenance and then moan when it breaks down.. :LOL:

In case anyone is wondering how an unserviced vehicle can be dangerous, please see this:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article2119488.ece

or this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/6101348.stm

It still should be serviced every year as per MI, as car makers state as well, either a milage or every 12 months. It always amazes me how people think like this. They have their car serviced and MOT'd anually even if they only use it for a few hours a week, but expect a boiler to work for 8 hours a day without any routine maintenance and then moan when it breaks down.. :LOL:
I have sympathy with people who disregard their boiler services.

The risk is perceived as very low, because the number of reported instances of death-by-lack-of-servicing is very low. A boiler, to most householders, is akin to a TV - it sits there and gets on with it. Both have an all-encompassing case that they're told not to open unless qualified to do so. Both are mysterious. Both have a distinct dearth of controls. In addition, a room sealed boiler with its own flue is a great deal safer than a log fire.

Compare and contrast the complexity of a boiler with that of a car costing anywhere between 10 and 1000 times as much. There's no contest. A boiler has about four moving parts. A car? Thousands. A boiler hangs on the wall at zero miles per hour. A car is accelerated and decelerated tens of times per average journey, is constantly being shaken to bits by its contact with bumpy roads, carries enormous loads, and gets salt water flung at it for some weeks every year.

A boiler is specifically designed to get hot, and yet a car engine gets much MUCH hotter. The fuel is so dangerous that you can't risk using a mobile near its vapour.

Need I go on? Well, I will anyway.

A car has a bonnet, with instructions to lift it and pour liquids in various places. It has tyres that go flat, a windscreen that cracks, a battery that wears out, and, most importantly of all, brakes that convert what would otherwise be a 1/2 ton cruise missile, complete with explosive payload, into a placid carriage that, with very little training, you can navigate into a narrow space.

I have a hunch that a car ABS system has more electronics in it, more sophistication, and more moving parts, than any domestic gas boiler you care to name.

So if you can't imagine how an unserviced car can be lethal, then your imagination needs a service and an MOT.

there is one big difference between a boiler and a car, by law you need to have an MOT test every 12 months for the car. The service is optional but recommended for both.

there is one big difference between a boiler and a car, by law you need to have an MOT test every 12 months for the car. The service is optional but recommended for both.

You have to have it checked if the property is rented and not everybody has their car MOT'd there are thousands that do not. Servicing on cars is optional.. :)

You have to have it checked if the property is rented and not everybody has their car MOT'd there are thousands that do not. Servicing on cars is optional.. :)

I hear in the grapevine that they will eventually make it compulsory for home owners to have an annual check ... sounds good to me :D

[
I hear in the grapevine that they will eventually make it compulsory for home owners to have an annual check ... sounds good to me :D

I can't see how it will be enforced thousands of rented properties don't have LLSC carried out on them and that is law.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back