Boiler fault - gurgling and cutting out - any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a large old house, with 2 worcester greenstar ri boilers running in parallel.

When the heating / water timer came on tonight both boilers started gurgling and making low frequency 'revving' noises. The indicator light comes on, then after a few seconds turns off. Noise continues and after a bit the light on again - then off. repeatedly. Turned the heating off and just put the override for hot water only, but had the same problem.

I funted on google and found some suggestions that the condensation pipe may be frozen. I've been outside and checked and this isn't the case.

I've powered down and reset, but to no avail. They're about 5 years old so out of warranty - any suggestions welcome before I call the plumber / engineer?

Many thanks,

A/

Sponsored Links
It may well be the condensate is blocked, not neccessarily frozen.

Depending on how the condensate pipe from each boiler terminates (ie does one T into the other) Its not likely as the condensate would usually block up at the SUMP (provided the boiler has one) so for it to happen at the same time on both boilers would be a bit coincidental.

Can you post the model of boiler too.

As far as I can tell.. yes.
Hot and cold taps both run (albeit both cold), and we've magnaclean device on one of the pipes by the boiler, if I start to open this without the valves closed then I get water coming out.

Sponsored Links
Condensate outlet is a mess... see the attached picture. They join in a T near the floor, this exits to outside. Outside there's about another 12 inches of downpipe - I can pull this away from the 90 degree bend and it's clear down to the ground.

The model is Greenstar 24Ri.

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back