boiler/ fault on central heating sensor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help. My boiler is not working properly. Its a baxi combi 80e. When I turn it on, after a couple of mins, a light flashes (fault on central heating sensor. It looks like its trying to turn on, with the first couple of lights coming on, then going off. The heating seems to come on, but then the pressure dial goes up to about 3 very quickly. So I turn it off again, as I'm a bit concerned. I can get a small amount of hot water, but not that much. For a few weeks now the pressure dial keeps dropping to about 0.5, so I had been topping it up a bit each time (approx to 1).
Phoned a central heating plumber, who said it will prob cost around £250-£300. But I don't have that sort of money. Also I am waiting for a company to call me, to see if I am eligible for the free boiler/energy grant, but apparently that takes up to 10 weeks. Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Is it ok to use it like this, or just for the hot water?Help appreciated as starting to feel the cold now :( , + have kids in the house.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a thermistor is required. All of about £10 for the part.
The plumbers merchants usually keep these in stock like sweets so
shouldn't take long to fix. Also the expansion vessel needs charging
up.
Shouldn't take a competent engineer longer than about 1 hour to fix.

The guy you range was a rip off merchant..

How quickly does the pressure gauge rise when you turn the heating or water on? Sensors don't make the the pressure rise quickly! Could be the pump/expansion vessel/blockaging

It looks as if its trying to come on, then keeps shutting off and the heating sensor light starts flashing. Sometimes the radiators are barely on and I give up and turn it off, and sometimes after about 10 mins (of it swapping from turning on, to the heating sensor light flashing), the dial goes up to about to about 3, at which point the radiators are extremely hot, and it doesnt turn off automatically (even if turned down low). I have stopped using it, as worried what could happen. But is it ok to just use it for a small amount of hot water, until I can get someone round to look at it. Or could this be dangerous, especially if a blockage?
Cant do it myself, but dont have much money, and waiting to see if entitled to free boiler grant scheme, but that could be 10 weeks.

Sponsored Links
It looks as if its trying to come on, then keeps shutting off and the heating sensor light starts flashing. Sometimes the radiators are barely on and I give up and turn it off, and sometimes after about 10 mins (of it swapping from turning on, to the heating sensor light flashing), the dial goes up to about to about 3, at which point the radiators are extremely hot, and it doesnt turn off automatically (even if turned down low). I have stopped using it, as worried what could happen. But is it ok to just use it for a small amount of hot water, until I can get someone round to look at it. Or could this be dangerous, especially if a blockage?
Cant do it myself, but dont have much money, and waiting to see if entitled to free boiler grant scheme, but that could be 10 weeks.

Always like to see taxpayers money well spent. A new boiler
to replace a £10 sensor. 10 weeks will take you into january. Better start buying some jumpers to wear

Will be very glad when all this free boiler crap gets put into general taxation.

Then I won't have to pay for it. :LOL: :LOL:

Getting very fed up with funding my own industry's demise.

I was once called to repair a boiler which was to be replaced in 10 weeks time under one of those schemes. It cost him £84 !

But outside his were two cars, a spacewaggon and a smaller saloon. Both around 5 years old.

They were about a third of the age of my car!

Thanks for all your informative advice. I don'y own any car, I cant afford one. Not even sure if I will be entitled, I am a single mum, and work 30hrs a week, but on a low wage. And I didnt intend to be single, I separated from my husband after 22 years of beatings. Dont know why I need to say all this, but I dont like being judged. I only came on here to look for some advice.
If the repairer says he can repair for under £50, I will do so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back