boiler fire up and turn the heating on even the timer is off

I have saw this one in screwfix - on description it said exactly what i need on the manual:

The ATF is a clamp-on pipe mounting frost thermostat.
The thermostat is supplied complete with a spring fixing
strap for use with pipework from ½" to 2"

http://www.screwfix.com/p/danfoss-atf-pipe-frost-thermostat/58668?_requestid=76486

I am going to have a look at lunchtime as screwfix is only down the road from where i work. i will have a look to see what is the forst stat look like too, i only know its honeywell and it look like this.

many thanks,

Sponsored Links
No. The new pipe thermostat will be wired directly to the frost thermostat.

When you are ready to proceed, send a photo of your frost thermostat with the cover on, and one with the cover off please.

Sponsored Links
cool.

I just went to screfix and they are out of stock. will order for tomorrow.

i will try to take a pic of the forst stat after work tomorrow.

many thanks,

I will be off line over the weekend, so in case you were planning to do it then, here are some guidelines. The photo of the frost thermostat you have posted, looks like a Honeywell T4360, so everything below corresponds to that. If anything is different, check before proceeding. Make sure the power is off before you start and that you are competent to do the work described below safely.

Start by clamping the pipe thermostat in a suitable location on the return pipe to the boiler as discussed earlier, then run a length of 0.75mm (minimum) three core heat resistant cable between the frost thermostat and pipe thermostat, clipping it to the wall as you go. Be careful to leave sufficient spare at each end for the connections. The sheath should extend inside the thermostats so that the internal cores are not visible when the covers are on. In the case of the pipe thermostat, the sheath should extend under the cable grip.

Below is what you should have presently. It does not matter if there is a neutral connected to terminal 2 or not, but if there is one, leave it there. I haven't shown any wiring colours as these may vary depending upon the cable used by the installer, and I don't know what sort was used in your case. [E=Earth, N=Neutral, SL=Switched Live, L=Live Supply]

The first stage is to remove the wire presently connected to terminal 1 and connect it to an insulated screw connector that can be tucked safely out of the way somewhere when all of the connections have been made.

At the frost thermostat connect your newly installed cable to the screw connector, terminal 1, and the earth, as follows.

Finally connect the other end to the pipe thermostat. I have looked at the instructions via the link to the Danfoss ATF that you posted, and based on that determined that you need to use terminals 1 and 2, however, I don't know their actual physical location / orientation inside, so they may be not as shown. Regardless of their location, you will still need to use terminals 1 and 2. The instructions also say that it needs to be earthed, so connect the green / yellow wire to the earth terminal. (Do not make any connection to terminal 4)

Because the blue wire which is usually used as a neutral, is being used as a live in this case, it is good practice to identify it with a brown sleeve, but in practice this is more often than not omitted.

Finally set the pipe thermostat to 30 degrees. The system can be tested by turning up the frost stat until the boiler fires, it should then run for a short while and when the pipe going back to the boiler starts to get slightly warm (not hot) the pipe stat will switch off the boiler. If you find that the system is still getting too warm, then the pipe thermostat can be reduced slightly, don't go below 20 degrees though. [And don't forget to return the frost stat to its previous setting after the test]

thankyou very much stam.

I am going to have a look this weekend and see how it goes.

i will let you know the result.

Thanks again for your help.

update:

set it up according to your instructions on Friday night after work.

it works fine, on Saturday i just wonder if i have actually made a mess by just mess up the frost stat and i turn the temperature of the pipe stat up to 90C and i see the boiler come on straight away so i know it is 100% working fine.

finally after being living there for a year i figure out what is going on. i realised last year on march when i move in but it turn to summer very quickly so i thought the problem is gone.

many thanks for your help Stem.. :D

Excellent. Well done, and thanks for the update. Now the weather has warmed up again, that may prevent the frost stat coming on in the first place. However, at least you will be prepared for the next cold snap.

one more question.

how do i tell what temperature the frost stat is set to be on as when i take it out i cant tell what settings the frost stat is on.

forst stat is T4360a btw

many thanks,

The frost stat is normally set at 5 degrees C. When you take the cover off, there is a dial you can adjust, and there is even a blue mark at 5 degrees. The top of the dial IE 12 o clock is the set position.

i mean that i have turn the dial so it might not set at 5 C anymore.

cos the blue arrow follow the 5C so that mean it set on 5C anyway or i need to turn the 5C pointing upwards to make sure it set to 5C?

i hope i make myself clear now :D

cool. i got you now... i think its on 15C at the moment.

i will get it changed.. nice easy job....

many thanks for all your help stem... :D

btw i have given thanks to you already... :LOL:

I have to say I did think it was a bit strange when you said the boiler came on when you turned up the pipe stat on Saturday morning. I would have thought by then the weather would be warm enough not to operate the frost stat, but if it was set to 15 degrees that would explain it.

Sorry if I edited my last post after you had read it. I hadn't understood your question to start with, then the penny dropped :oops:

that is what i though too... it should not be on on saturday morning...

but anyway. i will go and adjust it tonight.

many thanks,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back