boiler firing up when toilet refills...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This problem is driving me mad if someone could help I would be eternally grateful!

I don't know how much is relevant so I will list everything I have done lately.

Ok so I have recently had a new sink put in the upstairs bathroom. The taps were connected to the copper pipes using a grey plastic (hep20??) pipe. The toilet is yet to go in so there is T off the cold water with this grey pipe stuff capped off just sat there waiting to be connected.

I was asked to turn the main stop cock off and then the upstairs bath taps were run aswell as the downstairs kitchen sink and downstairs bathroom sink taps.

Then new pipes got connected and stop cock turned back on to check everything upstairs was working. Had to turn the stop cock off twice in the process.

So that was that, new tap works fine and as I said just waiting for the loo to be plumbed in now.

So the downstairs toilet makes a heck of a noise when its refilling, just really loud, and then the pipes in cupboard next to it where the boiler sits makes a vibration noise once its finished filling up and then the boiler fires up. Sometimes the orange light fires up on the boiler, sometimes not but still every time the toilet refills the boiler does something.

The boiler is a valiant eco tech plus combi if that has any relevance and it has an orange light and a green light. The green light comes on first when a hot tap is turned on followed quickly by the orange light and I can hear the flame when the orange light comes on.

all the hot taps and the central heating work fine.

Now when I turn the cold tap on and off normally in the downstairs bathroom nothing happens to the boiler - however if I turn it on and off really quickly this causes the vibration/banging again in the pipes next to the boiler and then the boiler comes on or does something.

It seems to happen for the kitchen tap aswell although im not quick enough to run back to the boiler to see if any lights have come on but the noise of it all shutting back down again is present - same for the hose pipe outside.

I have been googling and everyone seems to think its a dead leg in the system causing it... well the only dead legs I seem to have are the hot and cold fill to the washing machine - I don't have a washing machine at the moment (and when I do it will be cold feed only) so they are just sat there with the blue and red valve things on them so I thought perhaps bleeding the hot pipe might cure it so I did that last night and nope, still the same problem.

I ran all the hot and cold taps in the house and still the problem persists - I turned the stop cock right down and still the problem persists.

I don't know what else to do... others have recommended some form of non return valve on the boiler but I have also read these aren't a solution just a temporary fix that will in time fail and I will end up with the same problem.

Is there anything else I can try before I give up and call an engineer in?? The person connecting the sink and loo is my dad, he can do plumbing but doesn't know anything about boilers...

Sponsored Links
yep tried that - same problem persists. Even worse from the bath and sink taps upstairs.

Did you get rid of the air in the capped off toilet connection ? you could try turning the stopcock down a bit maybe it wasnt fully opened before you closed it.

Sponsored Links
no didn't get rid of any air theres no valve on it as yet just a pipe that has like a plastic stopper thing on there and the loo is being connected tomorrow.

I did try turning the stop cock right down as I noticed the cold taps upstairs flow really fast but again - same problem....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back