Boiler firing with no call for heat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. We have a Vaillant Ecotec plus 615 boiler. Our central heating system has an open tank in the attic and a hot water tank next to the boiler. There is a single three way motorised valve.

My main concern is that the boiler regularly fires up even when there is no call for heat.

As part of trying to diagnose the issue I switched off the boiler and disconnected the single 'call for heat' wire to the boiler. When I turn the boiler on the burner fires immediately. After a few minutes the burner goes off and the anti-cycle time is active. I think the burner fires up again as soon as that time is over.

The boiler could be firing for frost protection, if it were cold, but the ambient temperature is about 20°C. If there were a fault with the frost protection sensor perhaps that would cause this behaviour.

Are there any other reasons that a boiler might come on without a call for heat?

From the diagnostic menu:

D.016
Controller 24V DC:
Heating mode
1: On

Does this refer to an eBus control and is it normal for it to show this when there is no eBus controller? We've recently had a Nest installed, which I was hoping would fix the problem. It's now clear that the old thermostat and programmer were not the issue.

D.023
Heating mode status

1: Released

Does this indicate something like 'Anti-cycling time has completed' or 'Thermal cutout has reset'? In other words the burner will come on when there is a call for heat.

D.025
Ext. eBus signal:
Cyclinder charging

D.090
eBus controller

0:Not recognised

D.091
Status
DCF777
0:No reception

Wiring diagram
View media item 107594
Wiring (Call for heat on 12 was disconnected for testing)
View media item 107595
Wiring top connections.
View media item 107596
View media item 107593
View media item 107591

Sponsored Links
Just a thought.
What is the target temperature set on cylinder thermostat and what is the vaillant thermostat set to.

What I am getting at is, if you set the boiler to 60 degrees and cylinder thermostat to 55, cylinder will take forever to be satisfied.

Switch heating off and run HW demand on programmer. See if boiler demand is removed once water in cylinder is up to temperature

Sponsored Links
Just a thought.
What is the target temperature set on cylinder thermostat and what is the vaillant thermostat set to.

What I am getting at is, if you set the boiler to 60 degrees and cylinder thermostat to 55, cylinder will take forever to be satisfied.

Switch heating off and run HW demand on programmer. See if boiler demand is removed once water in cylinder is up to temperature

He's already taken control wire out of boiler and it still fires.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Hello all. We have a Vaillant Ecotec plus 615 boiler. Our central heating system has an open tank in the attic and a hot water tank next to the boiler. There is a single three way motorised valve.

My main concern is that the boiler regularly fires up even when there is no call for heat.

As part of trying to diagnose the issue I switched off the boiler and disconnected the single 'call for heat' wire to the boiler. When I turn the boiler on the burner fires immediately. After a few minutes the burner goes off and the anti-cycle time is active. I think the burner fires up again as soon as that time is over.

The boiler could be firing for frost protection, if it were cold, but the ambient temperature is about 20°C. If there were a fault with the frost protection sensor perhaps that would cause this behaviour.

Are there any other reasons that a boiler might come on without a call for heat?

From the diagnostic menu:

D.016
Controller 24V DC:
Heating mode

Does this refer to an eBus control and is it normal for it to show this when there is no eBus controller? We've recently had a Nest installed, which I was hoping would fix the problem. It's now clear that the old thermostat and programmer were not the issue.

D.023
Heating mode status

1: Released

Does this indicate something like 'Anti-cycling time has completed' or 'Thermal cutout has reset'? In other words the burner will come on when there is a call for heat.

D.025
Ext. eBus signal:
Cyclinder charging

D.090
eBus controller

0:Not recognised

D.091
Status
DCF777
0:No reception

Wiring diagram
View media item 107594
Wiring (Call for heat on 12 was disconnected for testing)
View media item 107595
Wiring top connections.
View media item 107596
View media item 107593
View media item 107591

@dcb0 thought you might have responded to the help since you posted this early this morning? Have you sorted it?

Just a thought.
What is the target temperature set on cylinder thermostat and what is the Vaillant thermostat set to.

Thanks DP. The cylinder stat is set to 60°C.
D.004 always reports an actual cylinder temp of -99°C I guess that indicates that the boiler doesn't have a sensor for the cylinder.

The Max DHW temp is set to 70°C which is the highest setting.
View media item 107604
D.007 Cylinder temperature target value reports 40°C and isn't adjustable. What does that figure represent? Is it another figure that essentially indicates that an optional sensor isn't installed? Since the target of 60°C, as set by the cylinder stat would never be reached if this were the output temp. View media item 107602
There's a maximum set for DHW (70°C) and the target for Heating (60°C). What is this one for?
View media item 107601

Was suggesting you try running the boiler at higher temperature.

To help you with Vaillant, you need someone who has knowledge of this boiler and operation, I am a novice there.

Are you using vaillant cylinder?

I don't have a Vaillant cylinder. It's an old copper one with an ACL HTS2 stat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back