Boiler Flue gas analysis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi Solo 3 PF 60 fitted in year 2000.
My c/h engineer (Gas safe reg.) came to do its annual service and this time he said because of recent regulations he would have to do a flue gas analysis first. The boiler failed on all the readings. Failure was a little above required levels but then not way above.
He said he could not do the service and would have to switch the boiler off which he did. He further advised I need a new boiler as it would not be worth spending money to try and correct the readings.
Out of interest I have tried to find, on the web and in this forum, details of the regulations but can only find recent ones relating to concealed flues. Also the ones I found concerning gas flue emissions relate to the installation of new combi boilers.
Before committing to the expense of him supplying and fitting a new boiler I would appreciate any advice on where I could read the said regulations.
thanks

Stanrog

Sponsored Links
On all the readings?

You need to find out what readings he is referring to, and what they are. And of course what legislation he is quoting.

I recently had give a quote for a new boiler. Large national company had capped off boiler due to flue gas readings being off the scale.

Took me less than 10 minutes to simply adjust burner pressure and test. All ok.
The company were looking after his boiler on contract and had changed gas valve 12 months or so ago. Wasn't set up correctly so when next service/safety check it just failed.
Something really simple but it could cost a fortune, they had quoted £6k for replacement!

Time to get yourself a new gas fitter then as the one you have is a crook... Perhaps if the emissions are a little high then a service is just what your boiler needs.... Granted the heat exchanger is a little tricky to clean but not impossible

If your guy had been servicing your boiler by the book, then the FGA figures would not have been what they are. Another possibility is he does not know how to read the printout and is suggesting replacement boiler when existing is perfectly sound

The way some big operators service your boiler is to carry out operational check and generate masses of 'documents' often not even accessing the boiler innards. On paper it all looks good as boiler service is in fact an operational check. A service would be what the boiler manual stipulates in the manual for that model.

Combustion process produces carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide. A ratio of these two is used as a trigger point to strip and clean. Some operators who sell contracts that you make regular payments for ( so they come out to repair your boiler for 'free' as some say, but remember you are making monthly donations which if you put this in a tin, you could easily pay for boiler care and maintenance and still have money left over) will do nothing until the trigger point is reached. At this point the boiler is serviced. If the boiler is serviced as per the manual, the trigger point would hardy ever be seen.

You may want to call this lad and ask him what the figures are, where he got these figures from and why was the boiler not serviced and FGAed again to see if figures did not improve. Alternatively you may want to call Gas Safe and seek guidance from them. Finally if he is press ganging you into buying a new boiler when present is likely to outlast a new boiler, get your bover boots on and start kicking someone's backside:cool:

Sponsored Links
Simple answer is it is not a requirement to use it so thats first LIE .
Secondly if he does use one and readings are high then the boiler is properly serviced and rechecked ,not told its a new boiler time so another LIE.

Someone who is blatantly looking for a boiler change i would tell him to sling it.

Out of interest how much has he quoted for a replacement and is it a like for like job ie normal boiler back in same position

Get someone else in. Solo 3's do run with higher than normal readings and a good heat exch clean and a check of the baffles is vital. Good boiler and hang on to it. FGA should be done after the service and you will find all should be well. Burner pressures and gas rate check is also important.

Thanks for replies above.

Looking further into this it would seem that it is a requirement for Gas Safe registered Engineers to do a flue analysis test when undertaking a service. Whether it is a industry standard, I do not Know.
The readings he took relate to the combustion performance of the boiler. These were
CO - 247
CO2 - 3.9
Ratio 0.0063

Whilst I cannot find any info relating to what guidelines the CO & CO2 readings should fall within, the ratio guidelines suggest 0.004 to 0.008
A reading of 0.004 seems to suggest efficient performance, between 0.004 and 0.008 seems to suggest the boiler combustion performance needs attention and above 0.008 seems to suggest more urgent attention needed. These are of course only guidelines and different boilers could be efficient (or less efficient) as one another but have a different set of readings/ratio. The readings I believe relate only to the combustion performance and should not be confused with the safe operation of it.This is my understanding as a layman.

I have arranged for another c/h engineer to carry out a Service and it will be interesting to have his result.

regards

Stanrog

A strip clean on these boilers takes no time at all, one of if not my favourite boiler to service as they are so easy and a flue gas analysis is NOT required on a service

The guy's either a fool or a bandit! Invite him back to give a quote for a boiler swap and have either a BIG mate or a gassafe inspector there. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back