GAS FLUE

JSM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Helpful People,

I bought a brand new flat three years ago. Recently, I had to have the ceilings removed and replaced at a lower level and 'ugly' inspection hatches installed in the ceiling so that the gas glue (which runs right from the back of the property to the front) can be inspected annually.

I'm having some other work done at the flat and the gas operator said he shouldn't really tell me this but, when the boiler comes to be replaced, it will be well nigh impossible to get an installer/manufacturer to install a new boiler to the existing flue. He said that new boilers must come with their own installed flue. He has confirmed that this would require the ceiling to come down again.

Frankly, if this is true, then I am considering selling the property and getting out!

Can anyone assist me with comments in respect of the above.

Many thanks in anticipation of your very kind assistance.

Sponsored Links
each boiler manufacturer have their own flues specific to each model

you have no chance of putting a new boiler on an old flue

it probably wont fit

and its dangerous

and no self respecting rgi will do it :eek:

Sponsored Links
What's stopping you putting the boiler somewhere else? Like, at the FRONT of the property?

Such as, on the opposite side of the flat? on an outer wall? or do you have a loft?

The only implications you face are getting your pipework to it (Gas, Water & Rads) and installing new 'pipework' which exits the boiler (Flue, Blow-off and Condensate)

You'd never get a new boiler on the existing flue nowadays anyway, as all boilers have to be condensing, and flues have to be installed on a slight angle... something I doubt your existing flue currently does?

Hi BlueMoonMole,

Thank you for this - very interesting indeed.

The boiler is a Potterton Powermax HE Condensing Boiler with Integrated Hot Water Storage.

I'm afraid there is no possibility of moving it to the front. It is a modern flat and the front is all glass.

Great point about the slight angle! This is why we had to have the ceiling lowered. The flue had been installed 'level'.

Is it at an angle to let some sort of residue run back into the boiler?

I'm gutted that I will have to go through all of this again when the boiler needs replaced. In my ignorance I just thought that a boiler would have its own 'flue thing' sticking out but after that it would just be pretty standard 'pipe' that would take the fumes away. If the whole pipe needs replaced then that is bad news and bad news probably for modern flat owners up and down the country. I don't know how builders get away with such short sightedness.

Q2 The plumber said the only other option would be to install an electric boiler ('wet system') which would not require a flue. What are the pros and cons of these?

All advice gratefully received.

People dont generally design flats with the view of making life easy if and when the boiler needs changing. You should not really be thinking of the hassles involved in changing the boiler if and when it needs doing. Most modern boilers should last at least ten years, and even when it breaks can be fixed, it would need to be pretty serious for it to be "terminal"

Get yourself a good RGI to service it regularly, and make sure it is running well, by the time it needs replacing he will be familiar with the flat and be able to suggest alternatives for you.

In the meantime enjoy the flat without worrying about what "might" happen!!

You are a good man/woman m1key00! That's cheered me up just in time for bed.

Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back