Powermax flue lagging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Powermax experts,

As discussed in another post, the exhaust flue of my powermax is lagged all the way through the ceiling void, 5m long. While investigating the installation of inspection hatches to meet "flue in void" legislation, I discovered that to fully inspect the flue, any engineer will need to remove this lagging.

Question is - will this reduce the lifespan of the flue? I've been advised on here that the lagging is there to reduce the likelihood of condensate forming and corroding the flue, which seems likely.

Thanks,
Chris

PS - is there a market for used Powermaxes? I might replace it with a nice Gledhill Electric boiler instead. No flue - good times.

Sponsored Links
Most Gledhill companies have gone bust leaving unfortunate purchasors with any warrantee cover!

Have you calculated the cost of running electric heating?

Tony

Most Gledhill companies have gone bust leaving unfortunate purchasors with any warrantee cover!

Have you calculated the cost of running electric heating?

Tony

The Gledhill website suggests they're still selling them, direct from the manufacturer. I had a Gledhill in the last flat and it was a fantastic boiler.

Electric heating is more expensive but it's a well insulated flat and the heating is hardly ever on anyway. Also it would be a drop-in replacement using the existing radiators. My worry is that I spend £500-£600 installing lots of hatches in the ceiling (if the whole flue needs to be de-lagged then I'm going to need hatches every few ft) then the boiler suddenly dies next month and I can't install another gas one in its current location, so I have wasted that money.

Tony you'll know the answer to this - do current regulations say you have to install a boiler on an outside wall, even in a flat? Or do you just have to make sure the flue is visible wherever it goes?

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Regulations state that all joints in the flue should be accessible to inspect!
You don't have to fit them on outside wall!
I personally would be hesitant to fit a Gledhill with there situation!

Go for a Heatrae Sadia Electromax system! Proven quality ;0)

http://www.heatraesadia.com/393.htm

I had a call from a builder who had fitted 26 Gledhill (gas) boilers and even before the houses were sold one of the heat exchangers split and there was no warrantee, service or spares!

Tony

So this is basically the same idea as a Gledhill then? I want an electric solution so I don't have a hidden flue to give me grief.

How much does one of these things cost to buy and install anyway? I can't get prices anywhere.

Thanks,
Chris

Electromax is around £1600 !
And I would guess around the same again labour wise! Depending on your fuse board and other factors?

That's the sort of money you should budget. Even the standard Amptec, Unvented/vented and all the controls will probably be around the 1.2k mark, and then installation on top.

Ha ha the Electromax is essentially 2 products in 1 box ! A megaflo unvented hot water cylinder with 2 immersions ! And an Amptec electric boiler running the heating with both running it will pull around 60 amps :rolleyes: Hence the possible need for a new fuse board or additional 1 :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back