Current flue regs not applying to old boilers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a guy call to fit smart meters, whilst fitting the new gas meter he said my boiler flue doesn't comply with the regs and he should really turn it off.
His issue (I think) was that a 60 deg bend in the flue occurs less than 600m from where it enters the boiler.
The boiler is an old floor standing Thorn and is 20 years old and has been serviced and had repairs done as recently as 2014 without any issues being raised about the flue.
I'm thinking he is applying current regs to the flue which only apply to new installations, am I correct?

Sponsored Links
Tell him to take a hike - if he knew what he was talking about there is no way he could connected a new meter to a dangerous installation.

Lol it's a verbal observation these days means absolutely nothing if flue flow and spillage checks pass.

Thanks for your input guys, but am I correct in thinking current regs are not retrospective?

Sponsored Links
It's always been the case from day one that you need 600mm before first bend on an open flued boiler.
So it has been fitted wrong from day one.

Thanks, as I'm putting the place up for sale it looks like I will need to get a new boiler.

Be easier to check that you can't just get a new flue relocated?

Can't really relocate, it's in a brick walled cupboard and the flue passes through the wall then into a brick chimney stack, plus the flue is made of asbestos so can't touch. I'm surprised it was never legal as the entire estate (built mid 60s) had them fitted.

although the regs said 600 as ollski says if all tests ok then its perfectly ok and no need to spend on new boiler .
As for smart meter installers they are usually 6 week course wonders with no real knowledge of what is ok and what isnt , they struggle to do meters let alone anything else

the reg prob wasnt there in 60`s but would have been for replacement boiler but some appliances actually said the 600mm was not req not sure if any boilers also said it

Flipping heck, we've got loads of old CF floorstanders running fine with bends straight off the top of the boiler. Test fne every year.

Unless the house is newly decorated and refurbished then don't bother changing the boiler for the sale. Just get it serviced.

I did question how the guy could wear "two hats" given he was dealing with gas and electric, he admitted he was only qualified to fit meters, nothing else.
The boiler hasn't been there since new it was swapped out in 1983.

I'm guessing whoever comes to service it is going to try and flog me a new one, it's still very efficient, more so since I fitted a hive thermostat to it last year.
I suppose the only way to settle this is to get someone out is have a look at it as Dan suggests.

NCS doesn't apply now so the 600mm is a moot point.
'Equivalent Height' of the chimney/flue will dictate the minimum height required between appliance flue outlet and first change of direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back