Boiler flue leaking into garage ontop of boiler.

Also I've no idea how to measure the diameter of it. I'll put more of that roof sealant around it until summer time maybe even some of that roof repair paint as the last thing I want is to mess it up in winter and have it gushing in lol.

Use a tape measure to measure the circumference, then divide that by roughly 3 or exactly 3.142 (pi).

Sponsored Links
The cap may be riveted on, if so it will be easier to split the pipe at the join to slip the new weathering slate on.

My big fear is trying to take the old one off and not able to either get it off properly or cant get the new one on.

I try to learn as much as possible as I've got no one to call for help really if I balls it up! Haha

Help is much appreciated guys as always I know I ask a lot of questions just love to learn all this.

Easer with 2, one to hold the bottom while you twist the top and slip off. With Selkirk there are dimples on the pipe which line up to separate...other systems use snap on clips. If the top cap is riveted on you can drill out the rivets and use self tappers to refix.

Sponsored Links
The weathering slate is slipped over the pipe then the collar goes over the sleeve of the slate piece, tightened up and a bead of low modulus silicone around the collar to seal.
You don't need sealant between the weathering slate and pipe as the pipe moves the slate is fixed to roof.

The weathering slate is slipped over the pipe then the collar goes over the sleeve of the slate piece, tightened up and a bead of low modulus silicone around the collar to seal.
You don't need sealant between the weathering slate and pipe as the pipe moves the slate is fixed to roof.

When you say fixed to roof isn't it just molded into place as the current one is?

The lead is dressed over the profile of the tiles and nailed in place at the top under the tiles.
Note how the existing is configured when removing and replicate. (y)

During a brief period working for an incinerator manufacturer, when they installed them, they would have an alloy 'skirt' above the sleeve siliconed in place, with the sleeve left free to allow the flue to expand and contract. Idea was - the skirt caught the rain running down the flue and ensured it dripped clear of the flue / sleeve joint. A similar idea to that posted earlier.

May I ask what the difference is from installing one of these boys as they look a lot easier to install.

At risk of answering my own question, not suitable for a boiler flue as it heats up to much could melt the rubber gasket/seal around it, I read somewhere they are really for flat roofs or soil pipe?

If I had not asked on this forum prior I probably would of went ahead and installed this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220205_120027_com.screwfix.shoppingapp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220205_120027_com.screwfix.shoppingapp.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 39
They are actually more difficult to install as the rubber has to be trimmed exactly to be a tight fit to the pipe...the rubber perishes over time and leaks...they can be used with twin walll...the system I have linked to is far superior

I think it's one of those jobs that's not really easy to imagine but in practicality is not really that hard.

I am totally new to DIY as a first time home owner at 30 just bought myself a new drill last week, graduated from using my mums drill haha!

As said only myself to do this have no outside help other than paying a roofer, any suggestions on what to seal up with until the dry summer? It's very rainy here in Northern ireland I live on the North West Coast. Some more roofing/gutter sealant perhaps or that roof mending paint someone suggested?

Acrypol, has fibres in it and apparently can be applied if damp.

The best option has been suggested by another. , lead slate and collar. the rubber one will be difficult, even though it looks easy.
Over all an easy job, copy what you have already.. You don't even need to take tiles out. just push the rear ones up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back