Boiler Flue Through conservatory roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our gas boiler flue on the kitchen wall needs to be extended on the outside to go up through a planned conservatory roof. Gas-Safe Eng tells me the parts are available and can be done fairly straightforward, by working in sync with the conservatory installer.

The Eng tells me the air intake part of the extended flue will be on the inside of the conservatory with the fume outlet out through the roof. I don't like questioning the experts but is the air intake ok and safe, as the conservatory will be much like a room.
I always thought the air supply had to be from an outside/open air source.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Sponsored Links
Is it a full conservatory?

Make and model of boiler?

Most have to have air intake outside too if it is a proper conservatory. A few could do it if the boiler manufacturer allowed B23 flues, and the conservatory was ventilated correctly.

Thanks for the reply.
Conservatory will be 4m x 3mtr x standard height "lean too" type with french-doors and 3 opening windows. Boiler is an IDEAL ISAR HE30 installed in 2005.

Ring a different gas engineer.
Flue needs to go entirely to outside

Even if ideal do allow that flue type I wouldn't have it. You'd need a lot of ventilation into your conservatory.

Sponsored Links
Sack your gas eng, he's a muppet. Did you see his registration card or just accept his word that he's qualified?

Not at all convinced that flue is still available for the Isar, @shambolic will be able to give a definitive answer

Is it a full conservatory?

Make and model of boiler?

Most have to have air intake outside too if it is a proper conservatory. A few could do it if the boiler manufacturer allowed B23 flues, and the conservatory was ventilated correctly.
Vertex flue allowed with Isar but it wouldn't work as conservatory is not outside air for a start. Loads of other reasons too.
Biggest being keeping a 10yr old Isar:whistle::LOL:

if your south cornwall i could point you in the direction of a few people that actually do know what there on about. personally id rip that **** box out while your at it as well

Are not Vertex flues only available with an ali inner tube which is not usually permitted on a condensing boiler?

Thanks for the replies.

Its concerning for me as a member of the public that my Gas -Safe Engineer (who`s reg name & member I have checked online) assures me their method of doing this work is safe and will not give any probs. Yet here I have a consensus of Engineers saying this is not the case.

However, I will enlist a couple of other "Engineers" to quote.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back