condensing boiler. air intake question.

The concept of a 'balanced flue' is that both inlet and outlet should be subject to the same conditions. That means, if there is a gale blowing on the inlet, there is also a gale blowing on the outlet. Because inlet and outlet are subject to the same pressure, any wind does not pass through the room sealed boiler, or exert undue pressure on one side of the flue fan.

In this instance the exposed outlet could be subject to strong winds, but the inlet is sheltered inside the conservatory. In theory if the wind was strong enough, air could blow down the outlet through the boiler and out into the conservatory bringing fumes with it. Even if that didn't happen, the fan will now be subject to fighting with unbalanced forces it wasn't designed to cope with.

Also, safety issues aside, air will be drawn out of the conservatory when the boiler is running. If the conservatory is heated in the winter the heat will be being sucked out also.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Pretty obvious really, I cannot understand why that wasn't fitted straight away.
I found out now that the glass (?) panel directly above the outlet was removed at the time of fitting. I guess this must have been done to comply with regs at the time, I'm pretty sure that the roof is now twin wall poly'.
Surely it's not a big job for a fitter to fit a new flue and make it safe.

I have a lovely view of it (the flue & conservatory) whilst I'm in the bathroom and it always worries me that it doesn't look right.
We had a nasty incident down this way a few years back when some kids surfing died spending the night n a van with a gas fire on & it's always played on my mind.

I wonder if those in the conservatory also have a lovely view of you in your bathroom ?

I have a lovely view of it (the flue & conservatory) whilst I'm in the bathroom and it always worries me that it doesn't look right.
We had a nasty incident down this way a few years back when some kids surfing died spending the night n a van with a gas fire on & it's always played on my mind.

Contact gas safe tell them about your concerns, then at least you have done all you can.

Update.
I showed the owner the comments on here having told him of my concernes and he's getting it sorted.
He's a bit concerned as he's just been approved as a HMO licence without it being picked up upon!

Glad something positive has resulted and thank you for letting us know. . Most posters never bother.

Shows what a joke meant of these "checks" are. .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back